I guess first let me explain the name. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVIegSt81k
So hexagons are cool. But I don’t like flex that much. And the biggest motors make it gone. So hexa(notso)flexagone. The simple goal is to make a stupid powerful street carver that can deal with the sub optimal roads, sidewalks, and bike lanes in my city. I also wanted reliability (mostly), as I’m plenty close enough to work to make this a great mode of transportation during the 3 weeks of nice weather Florida experiences.
On with the build. Parts list here.
Cut the griptape, install the trucks, throw on some old wheels I had, and it’s a great push deck. The screw spacer is 3d printed and holds up nicely. Later I print it in black ABS instead of white TPU. It pushes around really nice, but the hollow section for batteries makes a very odd resonance every time you hit a stone or twig. Obviously I’m going to fill it with batteries later, so no big deal.
Next up is the hubs and proper wheels. After considering the psychotiller wheels (they are really nice) I ended up buying a 3d printer and printing some from the printed thread. It cost me just a bit more than the sixshooters, but now I have a 3d printer, and it’s so gosh darn useful to just print spare parts for other projects.
Later I lowered the infill rate to 50% and printing times are about 17hrs. Because of the larger mass of plastic, that gear ended up wobbling a little bit during test fitting, I have a spare I might have to swap over.
This took FOREVER. Almost a week of printing, repairing the (cheap craigslist) printer, and more printing. At this point I thought it would be a great time to move to a new house. So everything after this point is after about a month of getting moved in and building a proper workshop in the garage.
My belts came today (8/20/2018), so I can finally test fit everything. Hubs go on the wheels, zealous bearings cause they’re the best. Needed a bit longer bolt for the idler pulley, but the ones I used on the wheel hubs fit. Blah blah blah, less talky, more buildporn.
Next up is waiting on the electronics (focbox, and the nanox). I have 2 6s 16000mah lipo’s from my onewheel booster project that are now unused thanks to two-x. I’ll be using that to power the board temporarily while I learn how to weld a pack. For now I think I’ll get one of those waterproof plastic hard cases and mount it trampa e-board style on the back.
To be continued… Obviously.