Hi5ber - Let's collab to build the ULTIMATE carbon fiber DIY Electric Skateboard

This thread was posted by another member but they were going to design some CF boards but couldn’t get enough people interested. I personally think the design is fantastic, take a look!

3 Likes

Subscribed…this is going to be nuts… @Hi5ber what price point are you aiming for?

2 Likes

Personally I specifically want the lid to be ON TOP, as I would never ride my board in the rain anyway it would make no difference, and I’m sure there is a way to make a top lid water tight, otherwise no one else would be manufacturing them like that, and it seems like a large portion of manufacturers are…

5 Likes

awesome that you join us.

So in the past, lot forgot the basic needs a deck has for the rider. To much focus on form and space for batteries. So for me I nee a solid rocker running trough the whole deck, for a stable ride yet comfy enough for long cruises. Wheel flares would be useful since most of us runs gigantic wheels 90mm +. W concave is loved by some hated by others. So that can be added via implants later on.

4 Likes

I think the range model be best, you could stack 2170’s if needed and have space for plenty of VESC especially for those of us who will be running a 4WD setup. I would prefer it if it was a slight drop down style, but other than that I think this style is perfect!

My 2 cents, first model should be max 2wd, support up to 50 cells allowing 10s5p or 12s4p. I think that would satisfy the majority.

24 Likes

Absolutely.

9 Likes

We need more ~40 inch decks!!

5 Likes

do we really tho :thinking:

also check your snap

1 Like

Yes we do lol Oh yea

1 Like

@ARetardedPillow i can make a polycarbonate 40" deck lol

my current deck is 35"

Electrically grounding carbon fiber properly to meet safety standards in EVs is difficult. Beware as carbon is a resistive element.

My 2¢ before I return to the grave

Brush in liquid electrical tape or rubber mats, problem solved.

I have an aluminum deck I’ve messed with for months and never got it to ride right (no concave). When printing the enclosure I was also getting a Jeep CJ7 tun think lined. I got them to spray the enclosure as well. And expensive solution normally but in this instance it was free.

1 Like

@Hi5ber Awesome to have you here on the forum! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

3 Likes

It’s not that hard to make a top lid water resistant. Just take a cue from go pro and their water proof design on their cameras. Lid HAS TO BE on top. Makes for easier battery swapping and makes the bottom impervious to water

2 Likes

@Hi5ber I would be happy with hi5ber ION 30 with integrated enclosure and wire channels for dual rear motors. Love the ion 30. Great short commuter board

1 Like

Totally agree! Lid on top! Also just making an enclosure that only fits 50 cells is to small. I’m going to be running a Carvon 4WD and that needs a minimum of 60 (12s5p), and me personally I plan on making like a 12s7p, not too mention 4 VESC’s will be needed along with everything else.

My point is the enclosure should be big enough so we aren’t limited in such ways. Making a board enclosure that is specifically designed for a certain amount of batteries and VESC greatly limits you and your configuration options.

4 Likes

I know CF blocks the receiver so would it be ok to use fiber glass instead? Or wood with a layer of fiber glass or aluminum?

Another option I was thinking is do the lid CF but have a little cut out that we could attach the receiver to and just cover it up with a piece of wood or something.

Or just don’t ride in wet conditions since you really shouldn’t anyway. Or just make sure to wipe down the lip of the lid when you open it, since it most likely won’t be opened out while your riding. Additionally you could line the edges of the enclosure with an absorbent sponge or something similar, making them removable so you can dry them when needed.

Guys this is getting off track and likely to discourage @Hi5ber from soliciting further advice from the community.

Let’s calm down a bit :wink:

15 Likes