High powered lasers

A class 1/2 laser pointing on the ground isn’t a problem. Anything above that, however is. Street ground paint is designed to be reflective, as well as those circular or square bumpy things.

nice to see you’re answer questions because I have some! You seem a rare laser expert.

https://burninglaserpointer.com/ezalor-class-4-2500mw-blue-450nm-high-powered-burning-laser.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20US%20ROAS&utm_term=4575617639802439&utm_content=Shopping%20US%20ROAS%20AG%231

is something like this visible in the air or just as a dot somewhere and is it bad to look at if its not reflecting off something reflective?

was looking at this site and they go from 405nm (nanometers?) to 650nm…that’s the visible light spectrum so guessing it cant go through your skin.

:arrow_up: those things are more dangerous than firearms because their danger isn’t obvious and takes a split second to be blind forever. Even if the beam doesn’t hit your eyes. It can hit a piece of glitter or a candy wrapper.

2 Likes

So to make things more safe, could you use a lower powered laser and just hook a fog machine to your board too?

I just want an excuse to hook up fog machine to a board really.

1 Like

Seriously… why? This ranks up there with stupid things like:

What could possibly go wrong?

My first thought was someone getting blinded. Supposed to have special glasses just to operate.

OK OK OK, that post was a JOKE guys :slight_smile:

Really though you lot would see that. I had one of those lying around my cupboard and FOR A LAUGH I mounted it. I’m not in the business of burning peoples ankles whilst riding around.

Just so you know

Thanks LOL

7 Likes

You had a lot of us worried. Only some of us went through the effort to start a thread for it, but I think most of us were thinking the same thing :laughing:

2 Likes

Whew! I’m actually relieved you weren’t serious.:joy:

3 Likes

OK, I’m glad most of you can see the funny side… lol

I’ve deleted the pictures though, just in case

Sorry for any offence caused. I never use that laser, anywhere. TBH I don’t really know what possessed me to buy it 3 years ago. Been in a metal box since then.

Perhaps it was in poor taste, and I am fully aware that the danger of it. If I’d mounted a gatlin gun up front everyone would know it wasn’t serious, but I see how it could be misconstrued now…

1 Like

I was so excited when those lasers became commercially available and I was about to buy one. Then I thought about it and realized the only two uses for them are A) making videos and B) blinding animals (including humans)

Since I don’t do A and don’t want B I decided not to buy one. Sucks, but they’re just too dangerous. They make guns seem safe.

agreed, they really are pretty stupid actually. I have a video of me buring through a Lego Stormtrooper it. Took about a minute to do it, but the smell was incredible…

It’s because of that I never use it. Just can’t bring myself to throw it away either, so it stays locked away in a cupboard at work like a guilty secret

3 Likes

Maybe the largest one you can buy on the dark net pointing right down at the tarmac? and on the deck in big letters ‘No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die’

Spot lights maybe thru a lense? So it kinda looks like a laser

Really thought people would realize this was a joke. Will run my humor through the ‘self checker’ in future lol

3 Likes

Uhh right in the nuts! You monster :astonished:

2 Likes

haha ! TK421 was not at his post.

I’m not surprised people do time for misusing these. I can’t actually think of a legitimate use for a handheld high power laser, especially one like this that can hit the underside of clouds 2000m up, in a solid blue line !!!

I believe stargazers use them to point out constellations, but that just makes the problem worse if an airliner or light aircraft happens to be passing overhead. In fairness the burning power fades away after about 5m, but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t damage someone’s retina 100s of meters away.

Once you’ve popped a few balloons the novelty wears off and you’re left with a stupid toy you know you shouldn’t use anywhere.

Definitely not a skateboard… (again, for the record!) :star_struck:

2 Likes

it doesn’t even need to go anywhere near eyes to be a problem, if the beam hits anywhere on the cockpit windows the entire cockpit is illuminated and kills the pilot’s night vision for a decent amount of time (15 mins plus), which is particularly terrifying if on final approach or anywhere in non controlled airspace where the pilot is responsible for separation from other aircraft

is something like this visible in the air or just as a dot somewhere and is it bad to look at if its not reflecting off something reflective?

Hey, I’m not an expert on it, I just deal partly with controlling laser hazards for a living, among many other things.

Being able to see the laser in the air depends on the amount of particulates in the air really… This is why lasers are so apparent in fog. If you used one in a vacuum, you wouldn’t see it… Only the dot. The higher the power of a laser, the more it can reflect off particles in the air.

As for looking at the dot from a class 4 laser on a wall for example… Yes. It’s very bad, even if it’s not reflecting off of a reflective surface. This is definitely definition of class 4 opposed to class 3B- 3B poses a reflective hazard on smooth /glossy surfaces, while the class 4 laser you linked (if it’s actually class 4) will pose a diffuse reflection hazard as well, meaning anytime looking at the dot no matter the surface, the diffuse radiation even poses a serious hazard. Squinting your eyes won’t help a bit… you need very specific laser safety eyewear designed for your lasers specs.

Class 4 lasers burn things like people in this thread talk about. They are used industrially for etching tools, cutting metal sheets, cutting viynl, lots of things, mostly involved with cutting and etching hard materials. lol. It’s like weilding a light speed chainsaw or Dremel tool that cuts you when you look at the dot, but cuts your eyesight instead of making you bleed. It’s a huge deal when a work site has one of these, and it isn’t properly enclosed to bring it down to a class 1 laser hazard from the outside. If not enclosed, there are tons of regulations and guidance documents mandating all sorts of things: eye exams, extensive training, all sorts of warning lights, sirens, specialized high optical density laser safety glasses, etc. This is for a simple class 4 laser, not enclosed, that can simply burn the surface of things

1 Like

Now I want a 411nm diode :smiley:

1 Like