High speed (40-50 mph) build! I need advice/help please

What should I end up using then in terms of kv Motor and ratio and ESC?

I would seriously consider precision cnc trucks vs cast for 40-50mph I’m fine with spending $30-$40 in bolts for a 50mph build but not the trucks…

2 Likes

Since you’re using 12s, don’t use more than 190kv motors, or you risk exceeding the vesc’s ERPM limit and blowing the vesc.

For esc, use a vesc. I have one from torque boards and it got a single motor build up to 32 mph, so I imagine with 2 of those vescs running dual motors, the vescs would be able to handle the power required to get to 50 mph and not blow up. If you have room in the budget though, get FOCbox vescs or ollin vescs. The quality on those, particularly on ollin’s, is a big step up from torque boards.

Assuming you use 97 mm flywheels, a 20 tooth or 22 tooth pulley on the motors and a 36 tooth pulley on the wheels should get you above 40 mph, maybe even above 50 mph, depending on efficiency, power from your motors, and drag.

I’d think $35 caliber 2 trucks would be fine. I’ve never heard of them breaking, and I’m assuming he’s going to be wearing proper safety gear at those speeds even if they do break. But its far more likely he’ll fall off than the trucks break.

1 Like

It’s not about them breaking it’s about the precision and tolerances in a CNC truck vs cast

Personally at 30mph I don’t find the caliber 2 “stable” , there’s definitely some quirkiness that starts to show

1 Like

Why would that make a difference? once the motors are mounted and wheels are rolling I don’t see how tolerances matter other than breaking. I’m not a traditional long boarder so maybe there’s something I don’t know here, but I’ve got my fake, chinese caliber 2’s well past 30mph and they felt fine

edit: I can see how worse tolerances could lead to wobbles, but I’ve never experienced any of that.

There’s wiggle where any 2 parts join You might not even realize until you ride some precision trucks on the same setup Things that seemed “normal” , vanish and your like huh… I’ve found it most evident in high speed cornering

2 Likes

I’ll buy you a beer sometime and tell you a story about a caliber 2 axle that came loose inside the hanger at 25mph. I peed a little :grinning:.

4 Likes

Hmm, yeah that makes sense I suppose. Deffinetly peaked my interest in trying out new trucks. What would you recommend as good precision trucks?

I’ll deffinetly take you up on that…once I reach the drinking age :joy:

2 Likes

@psychotiller or @trampa (not sure if there are cnc longboard trucks) on here Ronin are also great

Tsk tsk. Offering alcohol to a minor. Hahaha

4 Likes

I didn’t know, I swear officer :grinning:.

2 Likes

It was root beer…right…

1 Like

Totally understandable. @pennyboard was wearing a lot of makeup and looks older

1 Like

casually puts on fake mustache

1 Like

Most of this can be mitigated by using proper pivot cups, quality bushings, bushing inserts, and sleeved washers.

These are the main things people don’t focus on enough, but are immensely suprised in the gains you get from quality pivot cups on ANY truck. That’s where every brand seems to cut corners.

1 Like

Yah, I’ve spent more than the price of the caliber trucks replacing all the parts I can lol

Wow, 50mph=80km/h. that would be very very danger for eboard!!! remenber insurance youself first…, but dont drink before drive, otherwise will not got coverd.

in that speed, the motor will sucking a lot of power, I suppose a 30C battery would be better. and 5200mah LIPOis too less, will drain very soon.

big wheels are certainly. High KV motor would be better, maybe 400KV. and full ceramic bearings is needed, because metal bearings alway produce heat in high speed, will melt the wheel sometimes.

I once have a 5065 400KV board can hit 55km/h.

1 Like

Come to think of it, I rode one of psychotiller’s board and was amazed at how refined and smooth it felt. Probably due to the massive flywheels on it, but I’m sure the trucks played a role as well.

3 Likes