How do you keep your electronics cool?

Hey Guys, an interesting topic appeared on the ESK8 subreddit asking

Does a focbox need airflow In order to work or can it be incased inside a board?

and that got me thinking. How do you guys keep your ESC’s and electronics from overheating?

Boosted seems to do so via Enclosures with fins + heatsinks

What’s your cleanest and best solutions you’ve found so far? Show us!

1 Like

Heatsinks with good airflow/ fans keeps mine cool :grin:

1 Like

Show us! we need some inspiration! No reason Boosted can make a good looking solution and we can’t.

Focbox has a good heatsink today it pulled me 70amps for 30seconds and it only got to 80celsius im 100kg or so with the board and i went like 5kmh on the hill

In my opinion no need to cool it more

1 Like

My board is in pieces right now :grin: :sleepy:

1 Like

heatsink :wink:

1 Like

Here’s how I cool my focboxes. Air scoop, and fan to blow air past the aluminum heatsink. This allows the focboxes to be water tight in my enclosure and still get amazing cooling.

2 Likes

@GrecoMan that’s a heatsink for the 4.12 vesc correct? How come you have the bottom fets being cooled only? Also looks like your design doesn’t use direct fets, so there will be very little cooling compared to a vesc with direct Fets. Kinda reminds me of the heatsinks Chaka makes for his vesc’s.

1 Like

in a dual config (unless you’re SPECIAL) just bottom fets is plenty. but yea, it’s just a simple mod to vescs. honesty, for me, the biggest perk is just having a dual vesc platform with everything securely mounted and all ports still open and accessible

1 Like

This is my 95% Solution. I’m still trying to work on a way to make the whole thing water resistant but I don’t get much time to figure everything out at once. Dual Focbox with the CNC case from Kuglis. So far I haven’t upped my motor amps but to 70 each. However the only problem is I can’t find a hill steep enough to even get these motors above 55A Each. Plus this case keeps them super cool.

2 Likes

1 Like

Dam that’s a hot. I just fear everything gets too hot and stuff. Want to take every precaution possible.

What happened ??

@GrecoMan sick. I’m surprised only naytech is getting on the Dual but together VESC train like Boosted, any eta?

@JohnA

What kind of build you making?

@E1Allen maybe a grommet would surffife in keeping out dust and water while making the enclosure fin fit snug?

@scepterr Of course you have a solution you absolute madman lol, any improvements you’ve seen so far? Also about to hit you up with another request :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol it’s still in the drooling over stage, getting the battery for it together, 11S5P(not a typo) :yum:

1 Like

You’re a madman :smiley:

1 Like

I have airscoops for my FOCboxes:

I recently found a bunch of old CPU heat sinks at work, I’m wondering if I could adapt them to attach straight to mine.

For that matter, I can probably get more if anyone’s interested…

3 Likes

No, 80celsius is nothing

1 Like

Running dual vesc helps a huge amount.

Im a big guy and if i run my board conservatively with 1 focbox i can reach the temperature limit going up some local hills. If i have the same board running dual i can ride as aggressively as i like up the same hills without ever even reaching 40 in a sealed enclosure.

1 Like

Actually to keep things abit simpler, it doesn’t always have to be with a heatsink. if you run higher volts, it’s running cooler already. The best way to run cool is to avoid heat in the first place :smiley:

1 Like

eta? probably about a month or so. same with my trucks and a few other things :relaxed:

2 Likes