How do you mount your drive gear to the wheel(s)

How does everyone mount their gears to the wheels? I know the flywheels are quite popular because of their hub design, but is anyone using other wheels? anyone still do the old drill through and washer technique?

I know its a bit more difficult, but I’m all about saving money and doing things myself with what I got laying around.

I have also used a set of Dreggs wheels like these which were very nice to use because of the 5 hole design.

although I have found the dreggs while being cheap are harder to come by.

1 Like

I’ve only ever used flywheels/clones and used a bolt through method with DIY kits that already had a sort of system in place for this.

But i’ve always figured I would have to do something like this in order to use something like These Whites or some of my other favorite wheels which do not have hubs like flywheels, speedvents, and otangs do.

I’ve also wanted to explore options that don’t involve bolting all the way through the wheel from the outside. It should be possible to drill through the wheel then use some long grub screws to bolt through from the pulley side, leaving the outside of the wheel rather clean and free of hardware.

I think if you didn’t have the washer on the outside the bolts would eventually pull through the thane. but I know what you mean, its nice to have a clean looking outer wheel. I’ts also nice to have an unlimited choice of wheels though.

I see that Boosted still does the old “drill through” method with the same O-Tangs that they always used.

I also noticed that they’re still using 75mm wheels and most home-builds are using 85mm ish. I’ve been leaning towards using 70-75 ish too (with a big riser to get the motor away from the ground), with my thoughts being that it should provide better torque (especially for a single motor). Am I right about that? Bigger wheels = higher speed but less torque and smaller wheels the opposite?

Yeah you are right, you will get more torque with smaller wheels and higher top speed with larger wheels assuming you have the same gearing. having said that, larger wheels opens the opportunity for larger gears to be able to gear down anyway. Its kind of a moot point.

And of course you can make up for some of the speed loss when using smaller wheel pulleys with 70s or 75s by using a larger motor pulley.

I’d really like to get a set of These White 75s on a pulley. They have a flat back which may not cater too well to the pulleys meant for otangs and flywheels, but it could make for a snugger fit using an alternate method that didn’t involve the outer washer.

I have noticed that evolve use what appears to be a press fit cog for the o-tang kegal wheels. I couldn’t see any screws at all.

I’m pretty sure it has a bearing seated in that pulley and it presses against the truck when the wheel is bolted in place. It only works on the evolve trucks.

is that plastic? Has anyone tried plastic pulleys? I’ve seen where people have 3D printed them but i don’t know how well they perform over time.

I’ve used cast resin to make pulleys and they have held up as long as aluminum.

TorqueBoards was using plastic for ages, he was adamant that they lasted well…

I suspected as much. I thought i saw pulleys on his site in various solid and bright colors at one point. I imagine they’re less expensive to have machined, right? Softer material that costs less?

I was reading up on resin casting yesterday because of @psychotiller 's post about using cast pulleys and also because i’m thinking about entombing any ESCs i get in the future with epoxy, leaving only the wires and heatsink exposed.

I am pretty certain @torqueboards was buying them already made, they where not machined.

I think they would be cast using injection molding.

The plastic polycarbonate works fine. I use to buy the one on SDP-SI.com and CNC mill the holes.

I used it for way over 1200+ miles with no signs of it dying out. I think the motor pulleys are much more damaged from use because the motor pulley is a lot smaller and is obviously used twice or three times as much with a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio. @Onloop suggestion for using steel motor pulleys is spot on.

@psychotiller - Is right, usually those have a bearing in them which hold them in place and are used as a spacer.

I’ve since moved over to aluminum which it is better and more customize-able.