How does a dual setup even work

Hello I am researching dual motor setups for Electric boards and have the question: How do they work.

You see many builds with 2 motors on the same truck, but how do you steer with that. Because cars have a problem that if both wheels are powered they cant steer.

What am I seeing wrong, is it because of the different steering technigues? explain it please!

Well there is a magical search button to assist you, but to answer your question imagine riding a longboard and your problem is solved

4 Likes

esk8s/any skateboard/longboard dont have axles and dont really steer by direct wheel movement. They steer by the trucks

2 Likes

yes okay now i get it! ty

1 Like

Your question has nothing to do with electric skateboard. Google how skateboard turning work and you will understand that it is nothing like a car

3 Likes

I doubt that even a magical search button would find the answer to that question.

4 Likes

The transmission and turning are independent. The pivot you turn on is independent of the other side of the pivot point which has the wheels and motors mounted to it. Skateboard drivetrains are far, far simpler than a car for that matter. Our drivetrain is like closer to horse and buggy technology.

3 Likes

With a car, the power gets to the wheel through it’s axle. With a solid axle (both wheels connected to the same axle with no differential) then when you turn, one wheel tries to go faster than the other, which causes problems.

With skateboards, the axle doesn’t move, and the wheels spin independently. Adding a motor (or two) doesn’t change that.

2 Likes

not very helpful. why bother?

The problem is scale. a car axle is about 2m wide. 2m = 200cm = 2000mm. longboard trucks are about 200mm wide. so its a full 10x jump in axle length. which means a huge of a difference in terms of differential radius while turning.

plus because of the symmetrical center pivot of a truck, its not really the even analogous with a car. (fixed back axle. dual pivot front wheels.

edit. how to I mark this as solved? i want more solution points :man_with_gua_pi_mao:

2 Likes

@Bor.inc good question. Hopefully the guys helped you find an answer if you have any more shoot me a PM happy to help.

Chances are if he had this question others did too. It’s a valid question skateboards turn in a much different way than cars which is rather unique. Some people aren’t exposed to that info yet, we don’t talk about it because we all assume everyone knows it but the average joe may not.

1 Like