How does the kv-amount depents on the maximum speed/ range?

I’m looking forward to buy a motor and I’m not quite shure which one I would buy. I currently want to but the -Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149kv Brushless Outrunner Motor- but I don’t know where is the different in the end to the -Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-245kv Brushless Outrunner Motor-. What does the kv number tell me? Thanks J

1 Like

The kv number tells you how many RPM per volt the motor will spin. So the 149 kv will spin slower than the 245kv with the same battery. But it will have more torque instead.

What battery are you thinking of getting?

Probably the -Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack- I think for the beginning these are the best option. With 2x5000mAh I think I will make about 8miles. I would fancy to have a bigger range but therefore I would need four of these, right?

It’s been discussed many times. The most practical minimum for electric skateboards is 6s. If you added one more battery (3) in series you would have 6s. Your proposed setup of 4s will strain itself to move you along and create a lot of heat. In this case the better for you would be minimum 245kv up to 270kv. Check out this Esk8 calculator and play around with the numbers. Wheel size, motor kv, gearing and more. Then you can figure out the distance you want to travel. This will give you a better understanding of the speed different kv motors will give you. The setup you proposed would probably get you 4-5km maybe if you didn’t overheat the electronics.

Edit*** you could just start with two 3s 5000’s instead to save space.

Good luck.

1 Like

kV is RPM per volt

Long story short, choose a motor kV at or below these values based on your battery. If you plan to increase battery voltage later on, consider that when selecting your motor

• 12S: ≤170 kV
  • 10S: ≤204 kV
  • 9S: ≤227 kV
  • 8S: ≤255 kV
  • 6S: ≤340 kV

*These numbers are derived from the recommend max ERPM of 60,000 for the VESC

2 Likes

I’ve got to agree with the others in here and shoot for at least 6s especially with the 6374. It’s a big motor and you want your power to be adequate. I run a 10s lipo set up (2 5s 5000 mah LiPo in series) and the 6374 is so responsive. When I take it down to 5s (one LiPo) I feel a huge difference. Do yourself a favor on bump up your cell count :slight_smile:

1 Like

awesome tipps, thanks a lot! I ordered the 250kV and have 8S, should work :slight_smile:

1 Like