How many people here have access to or own their own a CNC?

lol…I have a cheap drill press and a mill-base, metal cutting bandsaw and bench grinder…I may not be able to mass produce, but I can prototype anything now…I want a nice manual mill, looking for used ones…the drill press with only last so long being used as a milling machine…lol I am excited to have the capability in the shop though…modding motor mounts and trucks has become a necessary thing…

I made one of these and love it

X-CARVE, modified with a 3’ x 5’ cutting area, slightly raised height, and the wasteboard is filled with deliberately placed threaded inserts fro bolting various decks down.

ITs using the DeWalt 611 at the moment but i just ordered the quiet spindle for it. I’m probably going to move over to Acorn this year, i’m getting kind of tired of operating in 2.5D when i have a 3D CNC. ITs time to make press molds. Maybe this is the year. I know @treenutter has a nasty ass custom CNC he’s still working on, way more on point than my ratty x-carve.

my next expensive computerized machine will be a desktop CNC for milling aluminum parts so i can prototype things and actually use them for a while before taking them to a machine shop. Sometime after i find the time to get really good at F360

2 Likes

can I get a picture of that drill press contraption? been wanting to do the same thing…

Remember that you will shorten the life of the drill press alooot… They’re not made to handle forces from the sides, and the bearings will probably die pretty fast

Funnily enough my race team recently lucked out with Monster Tools as a sponsor

That’s box 1/14

10 Likes