How-to: Heatsink your VESC!

You cant properly remove the black casing so I believe @sl33py is trying to passively direct heat away from it…

Hey @sl33py How are these working for you. I especially like that Alu. piece in your early one - serves to protect the VESC against bumps. Any reports as to which dissipate better?

1 Like

What if we used an L shaped piece to connect to actual unit?

2 Likes

With the correct size and aluminum of course…

Copper is far more easy to solder and better heat dissipation.

1 Like

And pay attention to the voltage present in the drain tab!

You got it right there! You should try copper as Thierry said and apply also heatsink on other side of PCB.

1 Like

Drain tab?

Yep cause there is current going through the tabs of the FETs so you need to make sure no current goes into the heatsink piece.

1 Like

Where did you buy these black heatsinks like one

I would suggest measuring to confirm, but got these i think:

https://www.amazon.com/BNTECHGO-Aluminum-Heatsink-Cooling-Silicone/dp/B01HSBM5JM

I think i got mine on alibaba a few years ago… or similar site - was in my misc drawer from another project.

1 Like

Seattle - wet. haven’t had much chance to test. Work/Life bullshit going on so been away and dealing w/ that. I will eventually run both with heatsink and without (as close to identical as possible) with my eagletree logger to compare actual draw and differences. I have a FLIR too, but haven’t had a chance to dedicate time to test. I look at it as a bonus for protection and easier/more-secure mounting w/ the flat plate. Con is definitely increased mounting height.

I’ve run my guest board (Omen Sugar single 6374) the most of these and it’s been bulletproof! (arctic alumina)

HTH - GL!

What if I use thermal paste for the heat sink that will cool without connecting as a conductor or if it does I might put a fan on it and re shrink wrap it

thermal paste/adhesive is difficult to control/apply. the pads are your best bet or you seriously risk frying your hardware.

Thermal pads have very limited K/W conductivity so you get low benefits from it. I recommend you use Gelid compound as thermal paste, it is insulated so not electrically conductive. Even if you were to make a mess during appliance it won’t short. It will also smooth out all irregularities of silica glass and aluminum.

You can use a drop of Loctite on the black plastic case to get the heatsink fixed steady.

1 Like

I built a heatsink case.

8 Likes

That looks solid

is that a truck clamp?

Looks like a bike tube clamp

2 Likes

ahhhh yea that would make sense

You are correct.

9 Likes