How-to: Heatsink your VESC!

Really? I used Arctic Silver on Xbox 360’s for many years when fixing the RROD and I have never had any turn hard as a rock even after a decade of abuse. Gummy and firm for sure, but never have I had to chip it off of anything. What were you using it on when you had this experience with Arctic Silver?.

For the lazy like me:

https://ebay.to/2l3obP4

I don’t recall what I wrote back then, but I suppose you were referring to thermal paste turning rock solid and being unusable ? I met this issue on an air-cooled i7 processor (first or second generation), I forget which Arctic range it was. Was not a conductive one tho, possibly MX-2 :thinking:

Some other pastes might be affected too, as it might happen. I should find back some infos I searched !

Anyway you’re lucky if it did well in your case.

1 Like

Anny idea on how much current the vesc with the heatsink can handle ??

1 Like

@jens_c From my knowledge, strapping a heatsink with no active cooling component like a fan will only add to the thermal mass of the component you are trying to cool. This can be useful when you are going to power up a hill and you are going to be using more amps than what your VESC is able to provide continuously, without overheating. So lets say that a given vesc can provide 50 amps for one minute before overheating without any passive cooling installed. With a heatsink, that time may be among the lines of 70+ seconds depending on how much mass you can strap to the Fets or Drv.

Natural convection may help out the heatsink achieve a higher continuous output, depending on if the heatsinks has fins and space around the VESC to breathe.

So strapping just heatsinks to your vesc will not increase the continuous amps your vesc can output (maybe slightly), but rather slow down the process of the vesc overheating. Someone correct me in I’m wrong My 2 cents.

1 Like

I find it hopeless for my second gen i7 in my laptop too, works for a while, idle in the 40s. However a few months later its back in the 70s. Reapplied it several times. Happened each time.

1 Like

You should sell kits

Would love to build one, you won’t happen to have the list of components?

1 Like

Me too, I was going to ask but I realised he wasn’t very active here

1 Like

Are you asking about the bike the VESC case or something else? Please be more specific.

Well I am asking about the bike, not sure about him

Part’s you use for the bike.

The bike is Giant Trance XO. If comes to kit it’s custom made. You can read about it here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90432 Any of you guys live in San Diego?

I’m in Oceanside, all my family are in SD…

Cool, let me know if you will be interested to take the bike for a spin and let me know what you think.

I want to lol but guess where I am

Moon dah!!!

1 Like

I’ll be going down to SD next weekend, meet take you on that offer.

1 Like

PM sent. 10 char

I sent you PM and you didn’t come back to me with what time you can make it. What happened? I hope that you are OK. BTW: Your parts look awesome.