Hummie vs Devin (Volts conversion to amps)

No this conversation is about electrical power, not physical power.

Power is A * V = W

And here’s a lesson with duty cycle.

Also this topic… Didn’t need to be resurrected at all lol

This goes back to Ohm’s law in the calculation of Power from voltage and current (P=VI). You made an error in one of the basic principles of electricity. Application of the mechanical side of the equation from power is the next step. To what you were saying.

Maybe Devin4 will come and argue this again but going back to the original question as to whether “volts get converted to amps by the esc”, if the motor can potentially be running at low duty cycle pushing way more amps than the battery would contain at its rated voltage, so for example going up a super steep hill at low speed where the effective voltage to the motor will be much lower than that battery…id call that converting volts to amps. He got ten bucks off me on a bet related to this and want it back!

1 Like

Power is power. Power IN is very close to the power out ( not considering losses) so the mechanical power is close to Current times BackEMF. Which is close to the battery power. But Power is never constant! Unless it is regulated that way but it often is not:)

I am a designer of high voltage power electronics for variable speed drives and Hvdc lines… so I know my stuff😃

1 Like

7 Likes

Why are all of @devin posts hidden?

There is only a hand full of people that as been ban from this forum, and upon them you can find @devin @devin2 and @devin3

I just found this other empty forum, no action, not even cake or chicks…how are his hub motors? Any good? http://buildelectricboards.com/

They are @Hummie hubs motor

Story Time. Devin was like every user on this forum, but with a passion to find out how the VESC really works. Such as understanding the basic principles of the commuted waveform driving a BLDC motor and the calculations utilized by the DRV830x and STM32F405RTG. Not many users liked how he was going on and on about some so fundamental. There really wasn’t anything to prove other than the math running the VESC. That’s why he was “grayed” out from this forum. It’s educational from one perspective, but it’s hard for the average user to put words into action trying to extract as much of the VESC potential. If you follow through and apply what he typed, you make break your VESC.

1 Like

Flagging and censoring a post because you don’t understand it? Hmm…

2 Likes

Well, I think it is better to ask the mods why he’s “grayed out”. I gave my perspective on how I perceived events over time.

Lol, information can be dangerious I guess…

Sounds like there’s a pretty interesting story here I get it if it can’t be posted in public though

If your account is banned your posts are hidden as if they are flagged.

Simple.

1 Like

Interesting, This whole thread is a bit odd to me. I couldn’t tell if it was a troll, or what.

I bet there are quite a few users/lurkers on here that have been banned and then rejoined with a different user name. I know of a couple and then my tinfoil hat tells me that therefore there are a bunch of these cases.

Oh god it did get resurrected…

You didn’t link any threads that I’m supposed be reading, so drop a link to it and I’ll take a look.

Ok, we need to first separate two things apart a little. Battery current and motor current, they are linked by power, but due to motor current and voltage being RPM dependent, the motor voltage and current can be very different to DC bus voltage and current. We can start going into more specific examples, but we should at least start making mutual grounds on a higher levels first.

So the sentence “So why does raising the voltage decreases the current?”, is true only for DC bus / battery side, but essentially irrelevant motor side. This is a topic that is hard to understand and it took me long time to even get better understanding of it.

Let’s make this fun and interesting. What do you think Devin’s alignment was / How did you perceive Devin’s alignment?

• Lawful good
  • Neutral good
  • Chaotic good
  • Lawful neutral
  • True neutral
  • Chaotic neutral
  • Lawful evil
  • Neutral evil
  • Chaotic evil
0 voters
1 Like

Oh god no! Deja Vu! I stopped following up on Devin(N) at some point… Normally I’d say: just read. Every answer is written somewhere. But Devin’s posts would be too repetitive to read them all even if they weren’t flagged, sooooo long story short: most of Devin’s stuff was wrong because what he didn’t get (at least util the point to which I read his posts):

Motor current is not battery current. Motor voltage is not battery voltage (there are L, C elements + BEMF) He totally didn’t get how a buck converter works.

Maybe its time for “Free Devin” topic?