I got into a car accident and my Ollin T-Shirt last night

One of the customizations he asked for was a thermally isolating EM field capable of keeping the rider at a comfy 75 degrees while on the board.

3 Likes

that’s actually a good point… how do the laws play into this? Will they treat him like a pedestrian or cyclist? or like an outlaw on an unlicesned illegal prototype vehicle not meant for the roads?

I’m very interested in this case.

Also i’m packing your blank up tonight and shipping it out.

@smurf I am a lawyer but don’t know much about traffic law :disappointed: I don’t even know the legality of eskates in IL! I just know that Chicago PD have always been cool about it.

@photorph layers, lots of layer - two jackets, two pairs of pants, goggles, gloves.

@longhairedboy regarding that question, it’s interesting and kind of complicated. Some states have contributory negligence, meaning any negligence on the part of the plaintiff would make him unable to file a suit (for example, this is the law in North Carolina because of big tobacco lobbyist - smokers can’t sue tobacco companies there because they contributed to the negligence in NC). IL is a comparative negligence State which means they’ll reduce a plaintiff’s recovery amount based on how negligent they were relative to the defendant’s negligence. It should be mentioned that just because you’re doing something illegal, it doesn’t mean it will count as contributory or comparative negligence and reduce the defendant’s liability; for example, if I’m carrying illegal fireworks and someone hits me with a car the driver of the car won’t have the damages associated with negligence reduced just because I have illegal fireworks.

Similar accidents involving bicycles could serve as precedence when the insurance company or small claims court examines your case. I hope you get your $$ back.

Just wanted to update everyone. I just signed a release for the full amount since they found no negligence on my part.

The process was kind of a pain in the ass, I think more of a result of the driver and his insurance company being lazy more than anything else.

2 Likes

So you got the full amount you paid back?? Maybe I should just let a car run over my boards next time instead of selling my boards for a loss lol.

Yes - release meaning I’m settling for the amount demanded in exchange for releasing the driver from liability.

@photorph lol - it was scary as shit man. Also - if you “let” a car run over your board it’s doubtful you’d win a claim.

1 Like