I have some questions left since I am on a 300$ budget and options are limited

The problem is that i don’t even want to spend more than 400$. I am jobless rn and it isn’t realistic here to buy an eskate for more than that. For me, spending 500$ on a prebuilt one is like spending 5k$ for an American (overestimated comparison, but not far from the truth). You can probably see why spending the equivalent of 5k$ is not great for a “cheap chinese board”. It is what it is. I wondered if i could make something with a smaller lipo battery and a single belt motor but i guess not. Oh well, i haven’t even ridden one so who knows, i might not have even liked it :confused:

Don’t mind b264. He knows his stuff but he builds for a different purpose than i expect you do. His esk8 are not toys but tools are must be reliable in all conditions 365.

I imagine your looking for a recreational esk8. Half toy half tool.

I don’t see any esk8 at $300 lasting long sadly. I’ve seen people build minimum budget boards brake day one. Then you end up spending money on same parts twice or sometimes more.

5 Likes

I think if you’re patient and buy quality used parts piece by piece you can put together a pretty nice board out of budget. It won’t necessarily be a top-of-the-line Speed Demon but it’ll get you cruising around without pushing like a sucker.

2 Likes

I might even have some parts you can have if you’ll cover shipping. Im in the USA so hopefully it’s not too much.

1 Like

There is no need for free stuff. You will use them one day. We just live in different worlds and… I guess eskate will be out of reach for people like me. I liked the idea of a board that gets me to places but i haven’t ridden one. I wanted to make one and if i did not like it, i could’ve just sold it second hand as it is not really “a thing” here and are not readily available.

For the budget you have described and if you want a diy then maybe think about a kit. Cheap and everything will work together seamlessly. Most of the components you have listed are similar in comparison but this will take the headache out of the build process.

5 Likes

Im testing the First Doublehub motor that you have mentioned, so far its great for beginners and first time builders like me. Smooth and somehow enough for moving me around (about 230 pounds). You may get a 3d printed case and used laptop batterys then you should be able to reach 300$ limit. Or just lookout for used stuff…

2 Likes

I really won’t lol. And that are budget board parts. They are going im the free parts thread at some point. I get alot from this community. I give back when i can.

3 Likes

As other have said, get a meepo. Those hubs and esc are extremely unreliable. The battery is almost guaranteed to be fake or made with atrocious cells.

If you can save up another $150 you could build something decent.

2 Likes
This is the cheapest you can get
1 Like

At this budget, I would recommend a very nice unpowered, non-electric longboard.

Get one that’s compatible with electric drive (and has enclosures available) and get some big wheels with kegel cores. (85mm to 90mm)

That way you could upgrade in the future if you wanted to. But until then, you’ll have a nice analog board.

8 Likes

I might as well go for the long stretch and get the 380 wowgo board. And then put in an extra 30$ for a 50% bigger battery. Oh well. Then if i do that 420$ stretch, i get some money to build one myself. Im guessing the wowgo s2 6.2 ah is pretty good though. I may not get a better performer than that that is lasting.

2 Likes

The cheapest list:

Total single drive mechanical & electric parts (no battery): 195.

Get batteries with 30c or more on hobbyking.com

PS: if you contact @dickyho and pay via PayPal, it should be at least 10% cheaper due to eBay fees.

5 Likes

Thanks! Real appreciated. I will calcuate the cost and compare to the wowgo board and think if i should purchase a board or not.

Edit : Did some quick maths and it came to about 400$ (with shipping). Might as well buy a WowGo board. According to this video, it would seem that its a solid choice.

Edit 2 : @b264 I am… A tech type of guy and not a skateboard kind of guy. From an eskate I am attracted to the “e” part and not the “skate” part. Hope that makes sense.

Edit 3 (Post limit) : @atenner its not only that. Its good enclosures (important positive) for the parts, warranty, deck. Where i live there are literally no deck options cheaper than 70e, even second hand.

Edit 4 (Post limit) : THIS board costs about 400 with shipping. It has an android app which is cool, has somewhat of a better (looking at least) controller, 1000W double motors but there is literally not a single video of a similar board to this.

I’d say DIY it, you can 100% build a good board for cheap. And you’ll enjoy doing it. You can have these. . . image For £15 plus £10 shipping as an option if you want.

Hmm yeah shipping all your parts might be the deal breaker for you

GL anyhow :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Don’t use Paris trucks on esk8

1 Like

Get the wowgo and upgrade it down the track with vesc etc. It gets good reviews and they are on here too I think. Every now and again.

2 Likes

If you’re just interested in building a board and having fun and are ok with the result not even actually working, (honestly this is kind of how I am somethimes) then I think you are on the right path. I kind of like to just experiment and try things and fiddle as I go. Honestly though if this is your main interest I’d recommend a smaller scale project like an rc-car or something since you have restricted disposable income.

If you want an esk8 that works the best it possibly could for around $300 listen to the folks here and buy a pre-built. You make a lot of mistakes when building and theres a lot of small incidental expenses you don’t think about as you integrate the big expensive components together. Couple screws here, roll of tape there, oh need to pick up some shrink wrap, just need to glue this down, oh that glue didn’t work well I’ll try this glue instead. It quickly pushes you over budget.

6 Likes

Wise words indeed. A budget is just hope mixed up with a little delusion.

2 Likes

Don’t buy a hub motor board with plans to upgrade anything. They are extremely resistant to upgrade.

1 Like