I want to buy/repair your broken motor :D

The more I look into rewinding brushless motors the more I feel like it is something that I could do and do fairly well. So with that in mind I am looking for broken motors where there is a short or something wrong with the windings. If they are physically damaged then they are going to be pretty much a no go for me (although maybe I can get a bunch and piece together a working one).

After I get a couple, actually do it, and see if it’s something I want to pursue, I might start doing repairs if people would be interested. (Depending on the difficulty I think repairs would be anywhere from $30-50 + shipping)

I have also toyed with the idea of doing repairs for VESCs as I have some experience (as shown in my other thread) with fine soldering, so if that is something you would be interested in, please let me know.

So, if you have a broken motor and no plans for it, reply here or send me a PM. I don’t have a set offer price, but I am thinking around $10-25 would be fair, depending on the physical condition and size of the motor.

Along with this, part of the plan would be reselling the rewound motors, probably around 1/2-2/3 the cost of a new one, if that is something you would be interested in please let me know.

note: all prices listed are subject to change as this is all theoretical (depending on people’s interest) right now.

1 Like

See your pm please

20 words

I have a whole box full of dead VESC’s :slight_smile: Do you diagnose as well or just component swaps?

DougM

To be 100% honest, i have never touched one. but from what i have seen, the drv(???) chip usually blows, so i assume it’s just a simple matter of switching that out. (@chaka is that about right?)

If i start fixing them I will probably be able to start diagnosing them once i learn what common issues they have, but for now it would just be component swaps.

I have a broken-magnet in an original Yuneec Motor (begging to get rewound).

Parts are just falling off my VESC (luckily non critical diodes, but I did have to resolder a large capacitor into place.

It’s harder than you think - the DRV8301 chip has a center ground pad, so removing it requires some special tools: either an IR rework station, a reflow oven or hot air and luck.

Not saying you can’t do it, just that you might need some additional toys. If you want to practice I’m happy to send you one :slight_smile:

DougM

Hmm… that certainly would be a test of my skills. But there is a first time for everything :smiley:

If you want to send me one I would be willing to pay for the shipping.

Usually that is the case if nothing was shorted. Sometimes it is simple as replacing the tvs diode. If it’s a catastrophic failure with burned traces you can sometimes bridge the gap and get a working unit again.

2 Likes

@chaka helping the DIYers … Love it

good to know, thanks for the info! :smile:

PM me your addy, I will cover shipping and will throw in some DRV8301’s I’ll consider it an investment in your education plus when you learn how to do it I won’t have to anymore :slight_smile:

I’m out of town next week, so it won’t go out until June.

DougM

2 Likes

Do you still propose ?

Zombie thread