Im thinking about buying this board instead|Acton Blink S2

Sure, no data overlays but one can get some insight into range and speed watching a 40 minute streamed ride through real life city start and go traffic, narrated by a guy whose job is reviewing shit for a tech website… Perhaps it’ll a bait and switch, but I don’t get why a company would invest so much time and money into marketing if they were just planning on running their reputation…

I mean wtf makes one company a purveyor of “off brand china boards” and other “local” when almost everything is being manufactured in China regardless? I’m all for some healthy patriotism but nationalistic rhetoric is wack.

Anyway, perhaps I’ll be learning a $529 lesson here, or perhaps it’ll be close enough to the claimed 18mph/14mile, idk but neither does anyone else commenting… at the very least, it’ll be good for travel, at 158wh - I fly often, and the airline I use most often has a <160 limit. So, ideal.

Many people who buy these boards know nothing about eskates, so they just watch comparisons between the specs claimed. Once they bought it, they probably don’t even check what’s the real top speed and range. Acton isn’t new on the market, and we’ve seen how poor the first generation was. What makes a brand a “Chinese reseller”? The components they use, even if they’re all produced there. Hub motors on alibaba are all crap, batteries are all produced in China, but a Samsung 25R is better than the unspecified 10A cells of these boards, even if they’re all Samsung. Chinese boards use poor components, quality boards use known components. Acton use the same components of any other Chinese board. Do your maths.

1 Like

How do you know these are 10A cells? Afaik that’s just speculation at this point?

It seems that the koowheel/e-wheelin i4/carvon emc2/genesis/e-go boards are all of the same general class, and while their given specs differ slightly, there isn’t extreme controversy over their performance, which is relatively close to the claimed s2 specs… they all do around 14-19mph and have a range of 8-12 miles and cost approximately the same… why would acton go out of it’s way to destroy their own reputation by offering a product that isn’t even on par with these other “brands” which clearly don’t allocate much $ to marketing?

^ just FYI, this is what Acton just told me.

1 Like

Up to 30A means it’s 10-15-20 with 30 peak, that’s very very low. On esk8s people try to go for 60+. We know because there aren’t Li-Ion cells with high discharge rate and those exact mAh on the market, easy. I would say youneec is a bit better than other chinese brands, the other ones are all the same crap. Acton is on par with these other brands, but being on par means being mediocre. The fact is, people buy those same boards on Alibaba knowing they’re chinese crap, while these kickstarters try to make them look like new appealing products that they clearly aren’t. Don’t trust any board with hub motors if you don’t know which hubs they’re using. If there were good ones out there, we would know. But there aren’t yet, except for the ones produced by guys from this community or carvons (and even with carvon, I wouldn’t use singles or the prebuilt, that looks like it’s not even using a carvon motor) Edit: those will never get 8-12 miles, more likely 5-7

Ok, sure, so hardcore enthusiasts pouring thousands of dollars into tools and builds shoot for 60A discharge rates, and top of the line setups like the raptor2 have 360 wH capacity… does it stand to reason that a slower discharging battery with roughly half the capacity would have roughly half the range? If the e-go does 14 miles on a charge at 202wh, why is 10 miles so unbelievable on the s2 at 158wh?

Is 10-30A really that terrible? evoheyax stated that he puts out 20-30A on the flats with his build - as flats are going to be 98% of my riding, why should I be shooting for 60A?

Interesting that they were willing to quantify their speed claims huh? encouraging?

Pulling 20-30A on 30A peak cells is bad. They’re not supposed to run at peak level normally. 60A is usually what we aim at, but that’s not peak, that’s nominal. People get away with 40 nominal, but you will kill your cells if you run them at max current constantly. And I’m not a hardware enthusiast, but I’m building a full board for less than 600, with a 270 (or 324, depends if I decide to go with 3000mah per cell) Wh liion 10s3p with 60A nominal, you just have to look for group buys and you can do much better for the same low price

Hmm, maybe I do need to seriously reconsider, I do have a ton of decks/trucks and wheels that I could use for a self build…

Well, I can tell you that starting with no knowledge at all (I knew nothing about motors, batteries or electronics except for my custom pc build) is really not a problem. You can get everything you need from this forum. Check out @JLabs’ group buy, you may still be in time to enter. That’s pretty good stuff at a ridiculous price. Oh, not to mention that if you break your custom build you can get it back working in a couple minutes/hours/days, while sending a board back to Acton (and you will probably have to do so) may take you weeks if not months

I think at this point, since he doesn’t even a working motor yet, we can say how good this board will be. This is his first time with hub motors, and he’s assuming everything’s going to work off the bat with minor fixes needed. But he’s going to have bigger issues with those motors that will push the release back, or he will ignore some problems and ship them anyways, mark my words. I wouldn’t say it’s top of the line, everything he has always done and said is hype. He’s a great business man, but just a decent builder. If your not well informed, you will believe a lot of the lies he says. He’s making claims right now, and has sold over 200k USD in boards and doesn’t even have a working motor yet, which let me tell you, takes more than 6 months to work out the kinks of.

There’s a hand full of us on here who have the experience to see through the BS of his company and many others on the market (especially the china board companies).

In terms of range, like I said before, none of these ranges numbers mean anything. Unless they tell you what weight and the terrain’s incline those numbers were gathered with, they mean nothing. A 200 lb person will get half the range of a 100 lb person on the same board a terrain. So you can watch videos on youtube, but they just tell you the boards work. Theres no science. I hope you keep your order and tell us about the range when you get it. I would like to see more real world tests of these china completes.

So have you made your mind on what to do?

I think @deke997 will have some interesting stats to show, as he is planning to use some li ion cells to test his board and different configs, I believe.

His thread is here:

I do hope he gets some results and also publishes them… Im just also curious what happens when you run a board with not so strong batteries…

Nah I’m still unsure what to do, I believe I have until Sunday to cancel (when the indegogo campaign ends)?

Recently what has really got me thinking is the whole hub motor in-wheel design - I like to pump and slide hard, and I’m not a little guy - perhaps belt driven is the way to go with my riding style, or offset hub motors (like the Carvon design). Honestly at this point I’m thinking about just getting on the v2 boosted dual+ list… probably would have already if they used a stiff directional deck, instead of a vanguard…

The other option I’ve been considering (aside from just biting the DIY bullet of course) is the benchwheel b2+. Info is pretty sketchy but it’s been suggested that this newer version has the 25r Samsun 18650 cells rather than the lower discharge 22p. If I could confirm this (plan on trying to reach out to the manufacturer/importer today) then I could probably justify the $650 cost - worst case I have to buy a couple of vesc’s and a new BMS… maybe some lower kv motors… but at least would have a decent battery pack/enclosure/motor mounts/pullys/wheels and remote control - 2.4 ghz radio vs Bluetooth, which seems to be preferred? Trucks are noted for weak axles but I have a friend who distributes calibers and another who can CBC lathe, so no problem there…

Personally, I think 2.4ghz might be a better option, at least mini remote uses it and so far it has been all okay for me… I think for some reason bluetooth has more problems / dropped connection than 2.4ghz… but others are welcome to prove otherwise…

I think nyko kama had dropped connections… and also ‘winning / nano’ remote, but for nano, I believe the problems were not with transmission technology but with something else…

I dont know for how much boosted is gonna go but if you’re okay with what raptor 2 offers (the looks, claims, etc)… I might actually choose raptor 2 over boosted, in case you choose the commerical boards route…

Upgrading (if it is possible) the benchwheel, also sounds okay… but yeah, do you own research as Im not eying these longboards as much as some mountainboards china offers, though, only 2 models so far and both are pretty sketchy and seem to be unreliable…

In your case (short distance, good turning radius, not big board)… I would look into something like Bolt or keep with the idea on upgrading the existing batteries… I think there was exactly a thread on how to improve Blink’s distance…

Speaking of mtn boards, interestingly it appears that benchwheel/atom/MBS are the same manufacturer.

From where did you get this info? I assume they dont make this very public… if they do have some connection in between… I dont know much about mbs but they seemed to be usa company…

Yeah as far as I can tell it looks like they are branding the Atom lineup as MBS’s budget option. A buddy has a (non powered) MBS and it seems dope to me.

http://www.mbs.com/board-lines/mbs-atom-line/

Still looking for the original charger for the Acton Blink S? My son is driving me crazy because I lost his charger and only want the original.

Thanks