Imperial vs. Metric

If you only know one system of measures then your dumb af especially if you are making stuff

Man you MUST know both systems to use basic tools Like I service my boat engine once a year and I need to use tools that are metric and imperial

liberia, myanmar and the United states are the only countries still using imperial measurements. ikr? who would have thought Liberia and Myanmar were so advanced?

Iā€™m dumber then a box of rocks for sureā€¦

Lol

2 Likes

Are you not willing to learn it or?

That was sarcasm @Acido . I probably own just as much $ in micrometers as most people do good car. Built engines half my life, I know how to use different measurement systems lol

I previously stated

It was an over exaggerated comment because I try to talk metric person to person here and most people just have the ā€œwtfā€ I donā€™t understand face on.

1 Like

I think you mean 9.525mm which is 3/8th of an inch.

Axle in inches and bearing in metric goes together like horse and carriage does.

1 Like

yea i think that i do not realize sarcasm so much when its written in text :smiley:

1 Like

This made me laugh so hard! Thatā€™s exactly why everyone hates imperial measurements. 12 inches to a foot 3 feet to a yard 1760 yards to a mile

Haha!

1 Like

Wrong. NASA and most of the Aerospace industry work in standard units. Zzzz I donā€™t understand why itā€™s so hard to understand. Most machine shops Iā€™ve talked to have all of their equipment, bits and jigs setup with standard measurements in mind. Even if you ask for a part to be done in SI, they will ask you to either convert it, live with the tolerances or provide the tooling yourself. If you donā€™t know how to convert units, then you should not be an engineerā€¦

2 Likes

even with no education you can convert them just type into google like 13/16 inch to mm and it will give you an answer

2 Likes

1 Inch = 25.4 mm exactly 1 lb = 454 grams or 453.59 if you need to be really accurateā€¦ That is literally all you need to rememberā€¦

(Did not mean to reply to you acido)

1 Like

NASA thinks imperial units are a bad idea, hence moving towards adoption of SI. Donā€™t believe meā€¦

From here.

Public Law 94-168, Ā§2 requires use of the International System of Units for measurement in U.S. Government programs, ā€œexcept where impractical.ā€ That requirement is reflected in NASA policy, NPD 7120.4. That measurement system, formally known as the ā€œSIā€ system," after its name in French, Systeme Internationale, is almost universally used by all countries except the United States. Use of SI measurement is growing in importance for international trade. Although use of SI in the U.S. is increasing, aerospace is recognized as one area where adoption will be difficult, due to the long-standing use of the U.S.-based ā€œinch-poundā€ system for aircraft. Nevertheless, space programs do make significant use of SI, particularly for science measurement, and increasingly for hardware and operations, particularly as international cooperation in space increases. The Chief Engineer serves as the Metric Executive for NASA to meet the external requirements of 15 U.S.C. Ā§205b and Executive Order 12770.

After the hubble lens fiasco im sure they do :smiley:

AS someone who worked for NASA less than 2 years ago, Iā€™ll tell you that most of them think differently. If you went to the NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center machine shop today with a drawing in SI units, they will not make it. If you went to their hardware depot, they stock all standard size screws from 2-56 -> 1/2-20 and larger diameter in a stupid amount of lengths. If you asked for metric screws, they stocked 12mm, 6mm and a few other oddballs.

I am talking from experience and not from something I read somewhereā€¦

Either way. This is irrelevant to the subject of esk8. Sorry to derail the thread

2 Likes
1 Like

No no no, not an issue, it was already derailed to hell and backā€¦so go on and argue awayā€¦this subject is obviously over the heads of this crowdā€¦Iā€™ll speak about it to those who matter insteadā€¦you guys can have this thread to argue systemsā€¦my treatā€¦

2 Likes

https://static3.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Booyahkasha+this+is+the+first+time+ive+used+this+_980d9fd11c34dcc02df5f8323a06461a.gif

Man, thereā€™s a lot of aggression in that post. Does it really matter whether we use inches and you use millimeters? Ans then you say something like thisā€¦

Thatā€™s just silly. America was founded from Britain, which used the British Imperial System of measurement, since everyone here already knew how to use it and the French Metric was just being developed at the time 17 frikkin 90) Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson (yep, the same one, its been a few minutes since he was around) decided we would just keep using what we had always used.

Iā€™ve gotta say Iā€™m about fed up with all the anti-american bullshit I hear around here. This ainā€™t about politics, systems of measurement, whether your dicks bigger than mine, its about skating with motors strapped on and taking your life in your hands for a good time, so everyone please ease up on the BS and lets just skate.

4 Likes

This post is fun, cause the appollo guidence system was actually programmed using metric cause they couldnā€™t fit the imperial into the software :smiley:

1 Like

I prefer millimeters so that I can measure my willy with more precision :sunglasses:

4 Likes