Imperial vs. Metric

Boy nanometers for the win :smiley:

Bout time to get rid of the imperial system

1 Like

Frankly, its just all over the place. Axle sizes. 8mm, 10mm, more often than not trucks will use the nearest imperial equivalent instead. Unless they’re precision, then they’re actually metric.

But then even axles that are imperial, the lengths are metric, bases on the mm width of bearings and spacers.

Truck mounting pattern is inches, but the mounting holes and hardware are metric.

And while the mounting hardware is metric, the kingpin is imperial, even though its going into 10mm holes in the bushings.

73m8z

@squishy654 You’re pretty childish. We suggest an improvement to the proposed standard and you disagree. So, you want to be dictator and anything you didn’t say “la la la la” fingers-in-ears. I have put the thread back so you can’t delete it.

You have a good idea that needs to happen, but being childish and crying is not helping you.

But isn’t 3/4" and 19mm close enough that it doesn’t matter? I used to be an auto tech and if I couldn’t find a 19mm socket handy a 3/4" would always work. I’m so used to this mix of sizes that it’s not an issue for me at all.

You have 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets and the cars I work on use all metric bolts so I have to go find my 3/8" wratchet with a 6" extension and a 10mm socket that I always lose lol

Oh, so you are the guy that’s stripping all those bolt heads!

Well, as long as people dont say 3/4" instead of 0.75" Things are fine and easy to translate.

Edit: Sorry guys, That was a bold thing to say without knowing much about the whole issue…

Been 9 years since I last stripped a bolt head. It can still happen Im just very careful.

1 Like

It happens a lot more with imperial/metric hex bolts, such a PITA

Where you at?

/r/theempiredidnothingwrong

2 Likes