The year+ build is getting closer to completion. I usually hesitate to show before complete, but it’s great to see it’s getting closer to being ridden.
The “soul” of this build is a double thick deck thanks to RS4Race on ES (great build and inspired me). They made a few extras and i was able to nab one (at a discount even!). Lucky they were just a short drive north from me, and talking with the owner Matt was really cool. Got a tour and talked with them as they worked. Great crew and i have 3 Omen decks as a result.
Not quite “Vanilla” deck, but not setup how i wanted:
And the bottom setup for similar electronics as RS4Race’s build:
And here’s where i made my life difficult and decided to go from slow to glacial…
“how hard would it be to CNC out further for the electronics i want?” simple right!?! Just not for me. A buddy of mine at work makes custom wood furniture and has a DIY wood CNC (way before xcarve). He offered to give me an exact setup to my measurements. So i took a ton of measurements and started dreaming/planning:
Unfortunately what i got was not what i planned and this got shelved for 8+ months. A neighborhood kid hit Enter on his system and it drilled through in two spots (and apparently was drunk while doing the rest)… So i had some spots to fix:
I originally planned to install these square 22mm CF tubes on each side to reinforce. Then liked the extra room (allows more batteries side by side width wise) and changed my mind to use just the “L” of one cut in half:
The top got a couple layers of 12k CF. The deck is beyond solid, but i’m a big guy and wanted to make sure it’s 110% for me at speed.
Fast forward a couple weeks as i tinkered a little after work in the evenings… and here’s where i’m at now:
It’s not perfect - show it pimples and all! Hand laid CF and epoxy = heavier than it needs to be. I know this and am OK with it. There are some waves, definitely bubbles, and i had to do 3 sections on the bottom vs one continuous (my roll wasn’t long enough that direction). It’s solid as hell though.
Next i need to build a CF bottom cover/cap on the lower half of the opening for my VESC’s and misc cables. Then the top portion of it will be for batteries. I’m trying to make it easily accessible to swap batteries for range.
Need to still drill the wire through holes in the back and re-drill the truck mounting holes. But it’s looking like a real board again and i’m looking forward to having a dual motor setup again!
Last - this is ongoing practice for my v2 Subsonic/Gbomb. I’ve learned a lot and will re-try vacuum bagging next.
Hope you enjoy and ask questions if any come to mind. happy to share my experience and the lessons (good and bad) learned during this drawn out build!