Input on DIY casting urethane wheels wanted

There was a guy who coasted wheels on Instagram recently, they looked really good.

It’s a multiple picture post so check @emothboards out to see it all

You should come up with something like this…

3 Likes

The core will have the same geometry as the current one, the position and overall look of the urethane will be the change.

@Randyc1 I don’t think is too much weight, to me this boards are a vehicle, stuffing as much battery as possible the weight always is less than 40 lb.

Sounds like they will no longer be centerset? That would make some sense, what kind of timing are we looking at, summer’s soon!

They said 8 weeks :frowning:

I’ve started modelling the core to cast the urethane around. I want the core to be side set, to have a flush surface to mount pulleys to and make the effective wheel base a little wider. I went with flywheels style mounting holes because I think thats what most peoble use… However I now think kegel style holes would be better (because they have more meat and its a more straigt forward design), since there are no flush flywheel pulleys out there anyway. Any reason why to keep it flywheels vs kegel holes?

The wheels (107x54mm) are just a placeholder as of now. I might make them 115 or 125 later if the design requires it, but I also want to save urethane where I can. The wheels will probably get some kind of profile, I’m not sure yet.

1 Like

I think the biggest benefit of using flywheels is their already wide adoption. A bunch of people already have flywheel pulleys and they’re inter-compatible with flywheels and their clones. Keeping the same type of pulley will give buyers more flexibility to choose which wheel they want without restricting them to custom or Kegels.

That said, I’m a bit late to this part and the wheel I REALLY want are the Evolve GT wheels in 90/97mm. The profile and wide contact patch are amazing, they just don’t ride that well because I don’t think they are truley 75a duro, and are a bit small at 83mm.

wouldn’t that be just 97mm flywheels pretty much?

these flywheel pulleys that most people have are made to be set into the wheel a bit, right? that means they would stick out more than normal from a side set wheel like my design.

http://www.evolveskateboards.de/images/stories/virtuemart/product/evolve_drive_gear_1.jpg

btw… how do these attach to the wheel exactly? just by friction without any screws?

Those are the Evolve ones which fits all legit fly wheels snugly and some (but not all) clones. It never stuck out of my fly wheels when I had a Carbon GT. I use the Enertion pulley (LHB has some for sale too on shapeways) myself. The spokes are a bit thinner but they stay relatively snug on the wheel.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/zad02/images/stencil/600x600/products/165/880/electric_skateboard_12mm_wheel_pulley_1__88889.1459752860.jpg?c=2

The contact patch of flywheels are actually a whole 1cm shorter which is why I want a bigger version of the Evolve GT wheels (and not having bright green wheels is a plus too)

This is how the larger contact patch looks on my board.

https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/2X/d/d4a1e39c95a1f416cc146bc7eb1893ace7a6833d.jpg

no, I meant that they would stick out with my design. since the core is set to the inside wall of the wheel making flush.

I wanted to make it that way so that you can use any cheap pulley like these for example:

wp-content/uploads/2015/02/44T-Electric-Skateboard-Drive-Wheel-Pulley.jpg

maybe its not really a problem that needs solving.

Ohh I see. How common are those types of pulleys? I know DIYES has a pulley like that but it still fits on standard flywheels.

no idea, but these types of flat pulleys are on ebay for like 3 bucks from china. well you may have to drill mounting holes yourself