Is it time to buy a 3D printer?

Check out this new video of PP filament. Really interesting properties, especially the layer adhesion seems amazing. Not for taking any forces though but good for applications which need to flex.

1 Like

Ender3 is $179 at gearbest with free shipping to USA. I got one :smiley:

IMG_20181005_163405_209 Things are escalating quickly over here. . . A coworker didn’t want to figure out / fix his Monoprice Maker Select Mini’s, so he gave them to me to help build out my mini print farm.

Ender 3 is still the way to go if your are planning on buying a printer, but the MPSMs do a decent job, albeit at half the print volume. For the price of ‘gratis’, I’ll take it.

1 Like

I used to have that printer too! ITs amazing that a year ago that was a fairly compelling option, and in the time since it has been not only totally eclipsed in quality by the Ender 3, but also undercut in price too.

1 Like

MSo I picked this up on Amazon and have been extremely happy:

https://www.amazon.com/Creality-3D-CR-2020-Assembled-200x200x200mm/dp/B07D49S45M

The printer is extremely precise right out of the box and has auto leveling, heated bed. Printed this 3d cube puzzle and well the quality speaks for itself.

1 Like

found out someone I know has some really high end SLA printers, a Rapid Shape HA90, a 3D Systems Figure 4 and also a Forms Labs Form 2.

I am going to see if he is feeling generous and will let me do a few prints.

1 Like

We have a FlashForge Dreamer and really like it. It can print in ABS but not nylon. I haven’t used it for eskate projects. I am not sure I would trust 3D printed gears, for example. I am thinking of battery boxes, stuff like that. One website with many 3D models is Thingiverse. I would go see if there are things that you want to print before getting a printer.

I have a little filament printer that is awesome, haven’t printed anything from thingiverse in a long time, it’s all custom stuff. Having a 3D printer has been invaluable.

Haven’t had any issues with ABS gears that I’ve printed, although they are really only for testing and will be replaced with either metal or a harder plastic in the long run.

I am really curious to see how SLA performs in terms of speed, accuracy and durability though

Local fablab:

1 Like

My first post!

Getting a 3d printer changed my life, I highly recommend getting one. The sweet spot seems to be around $600. That’s taking into account speed, print quality, exotic Filament capabilities. I would recommend a kit over a complete build so you intimately understand how each piece supports the other and so on. in most cases it saves you some money too. It’s not an easy hobby though, be ready to spend some time learning the software.

1 Like

Ok here is an XT90 handle / over mold designed by @mmaner look at this printers precision. I know there are a lot of great printers in the market I have just been so pleased with this one. I have no connection to Creality and purchased my printer from Amazon. I did a lot of study and this is just the one I pulled the trigger on as I wanted something that worked out of the box…

image 10mins later image

image image Used a bit of two part JB weld epoxy and all done solid less than 2hr from beginning to end.

Yes this is why you want a good 3D printer.

Kevin

4 Likes

I purchased an ender 3(shipped for $200) and am very happy with it “now”. It took me about 10 days(spending roughly 2 hours on it every day) to learn about the slicing software(I am using cura), experiment with the setting, print calibration prints and align the hardware and print setting based on that. It’s good hardware once you set it up, but you should be ready to loosen a few bolts and adjust a few things to get it to print perfectly.

This little @mmaner 3D part just makes life easier…the plug goes in and comes out the same but with the thicker grip it is just much nicer worth the time to print have made two as it is just fun putting these together.

Kevin

1 Like

It’s onn of the best things I’ve ever modeled :grinning:.

1 Like

If anyone needs a hand with their settings image

6 Likes

Is this a tevo tornado? That quality looks very good. What layer height are you using?

4p%20jig_1539528003316

A set of jigs I’m making for 4p, 5p &6p packs. Just an example if why 3dp and esk8 goes well together.

3 Likes

That’s a modded tornado yep, 0.1 layer, 45mm/s

I need a jig, handy cheers

1 Like

I see you’ve got a petsfang on there, what other kind of mods have you Done?