Is Rewinding a Motor Worth It?

I have a 6374 ebay motor (cheap $50 option at the time) that I burned up due to less than optimal VESC settings and a lack of common sense. The motor seemed plenty powerful as I live in a completely flat environment only cruise at about 15 mph and fully loaded with gear am under 200lbs. I built this board on a budget hence the cheap motor and now looking at fixing it am wondering about the difficulty of rewinding a motor of this nature and if it is worth it. I have the stator and bell removed from the housing and just need to remove the bell to get access to the hall effects and stator completely although I hear this can be quite a challenge and my first freezing attempts did not work. My main concern is reinsulating the stator before rewinding as it does have some of the coating scraped off that can lead to shorts. Alternatively I could get a new flipsky 6355 motor for $67 and would probably be okay. I have no problem doing the work and taking the time if it is worth it and I can end with a well functioning motor that will rival when it was new. I have done preliminary research on windings such as delta vs wye and diameter of wires and turns relative to KVs but will likely not be changing much of that. For those of you that have worked with rewinding motors is this a project that is worth pursuing in terms of cost and end product quality or am I better off just getting a new motor? Thank you in advance to anyone that weighs in on this.

Def not worth the time involved but the results are usually very good. Alternatively you can just patch where the winding burned.

i got the raptor 2 and my bored keeps throttling got it set to 100c cut off and 85c start

Update: So I was able to get the bell of by melting the glue with a propane torch, freezing the motor then just heating the stator and wiring with the torch to allow the bell to easily separate with a couple taps from a rubber mallet. The wiring seems to be 32 AWG and it’s a 170 KV motor wired in the wye configuration. Upon closer inspection the wires running up into the stator melted and not the copper winding itself. As I was able to disassemble the motor entirely without damage I think I will try to fully rewind it and slightly lower the KV to the 140-150 range as I’m more concerned with a low speed efficient motor compared to cruising at speeds above 25mph. I figured as I do this I’ll update this thread with pictures and advice along with final results for anyone else curious about the process. If all else fails I can buy a new motor and this can be a learning experience from someone with no experience.

Holy crud my dude. You’re a serious DIY’er. I’m jealous! My new motor would have already been delivered 2 weeks ago! :laughing:

1 Like

Update: I finally found some time to sit down and tear into the motor. After closer inspection, the motor was in a Delta configuration, not a WYE configuration. The wiring was around 26-28 gauge AWG and bundled in 12 strands then wrapped around the stator. There were 10 turns per stator arm. Reading several other forums online such as

helped me decide on using a lower gauge strand of wire instead of multiple thinner strands run in parallel. As this is my first time rewinding a motor and that seemed to be simpler I decided to go with that route. Based on those forums and some measurements I decided to go with 16 gauge AWG enamel-coated wire. This should net me anywhere from 8-12 turns per stator based off of my initial assumptions. I figured if it was only 8 turns I could wire the motor in WYE configuration to achieve my lower KV and if it was 12 turns I could wire it in Delta. To determine my ideal KV I went on a several mile longboard ride the old fashioned way and kept a GPS record of my speed. As I just use the board to commute and I’m not moving very fast with a backpack and no hills I peaked at 17 mph and averaged 12-13 mph. I assume I will set my VESC to similar limits as these and therefore would benefit from a motor closer to the 100-130kv range when looking at peak efficiency for my needs. I have attached a couple more pictures of the motor completely torn down and will keep updating as the new wiring comes in and I take the next steps.