Is Samsung 30Q a cell to be thrusted nowadays?

Hi! I have built a bunch of batteries during the last 5-6 years. Some of them where using the “good bang for the buck” Samsung 18650 30Q. But during 2020-2021 people did discover problems with these cells. Suddenly one of the P-packs start to drain it self caused by one or more cells not working as it should…

Around 2020 I built six 112-cell 14S8P batterypacks with 30Q cells and 2 of these packs have just that problem. I know a 112-cell pack is a pretty big pack, but we still want to trust that new cells will work, not have a problem… I have smart BMSes in those packs so I can balance them to be ok, but that has to be done every charge, and if the packs has been sitting for a few month, it will be alot to balance.

Do any of you know if it was only during that period that Samsung had problems with 30Q ? From what I understand, 30Q did not have that problem with cells produced before 2020. So how is it today? Can Samsung 30Q be thrusted to be used in a pack today?

Normaly I use some kind of smart BMS, so I can monitor battery health. But if I would use a normal “dumb” BMS, I just have to trust that it works without really knowing.

Best Regards! Nils

In the 18650 form factor, the Molicel P28A will outperform the 30Q for esk8 use.

If you have space for a 21700 form factor, the Molicel P45B are even better.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I know about most current models. But I am asking about the 30Q cell, and that is just because it is the cheapest premium branded cell I can buy :smile:

I have used Molicel P42A in one of my boards because it is the best bang for the buck among 21700 cells in Europe :slight_smile:

Yesterday I bought a used Onsra Black Carve 1 (Direct Drive version) with broken battery. I got it for a really good price. It has a nice carbon fiber batterycase that fit a 12S3P pack using 18650 cells. So my options are to go for a new 12S3P battery build, or to put a riser on the batterycase (about 10mm high) to fit a fatter 5P battery instead of 3P (still with 18650 cells).

As stock, the Onstra Black Carve 1 comes from the factory with 12S3P Samsung 18650 35E cells… Yes they are making the battery capacity look good, Onsra state 466,2Wh (3500mAh x 3,7v x 36) But in reality they are more like 3350mAh at 3,6v = 434Wh. And they are a bit on the weak side regarding current:rofl:

Today Molicel are offering the new 18650 P30B cell which are a smaller version of the 21700 P45B. P30B are said to be better both regarding capacity and current compared to P26A and P28A. But I have not found any real reviews from Lygte.dk or Mooch yet. But the P30B cell is very expencive…

To build a 12S3P battery with these cells it will cost me:

104 $ - Samsung 30Q (cheap, but can it be thrusted?) 3000mAh, 15/20A, 389Wh

180 $ - Molicel P28A, (more expencive but more powerful) 2800mAh, 25/35A, 363Wh

275 $ - Molicel P30B, (most expencive option, but have good power) 3000mAh, 25/35A, 389Wh

Lastly the 5P option with 30Q cells

173 $ - Samsung 30Q (cheap, but can it be thrusted?) 3000mAh, 15/20A, 648Wh Best total capacity

It feels like the last one would be the best option here, but only IF the 30Q cells can be thrusted not to suddenly start draining parts of the battery… :grimacing:

There are reasons most folks don’t use them anymore

1 Like

I find it strange that a big brand like Samsung would not fix the problem with this 30Q cell. But I read about problems people had with 30Q in a german forum (google-translated to english)

Many people there had problems with their 30Q packs start drifting…

I will give up on using that cell-model. Lets see what I will use instead :slight_smile: On the batteryshop I am ordering from, they have good price on EVE INR18650-25P cell. A 6P-pack with those would cost me around 158 $ right now. Maybe EVE is crap cells, I do not know…

Thanks for the input!

[quote=“Nisse977, post:1, topic:120245”] r if you get the cells all original battery ,I think they are good price .as I konw ,30Q cell still on produce ,not have any problem

I have had problems with original Samsung 30Q cells, and so has two of my friends :-1::disappointed_relieved:

Instead I ordered those EVE 18650 25P cells and I hope they will work as intended.

Also I ordered an new small version of the Smart bluetooth BMS, so if the cells would start to drift apart, I will know and I can put it on static balance until they are all in good balance again. But I hope I do not need to do that :hugs:

Sorry to hear that. A significant number of all lithium-ion batteries for sale are fake and potentially dangerous. Safety first