KalyNYC Gear Drive Assembly and maintenance

Excellent, thanks Ernesto.

1 Like

I have nothing to add aside from: Great work Ernesto!

Hands down the nicest geardrive Iā€™ve gotten to ride, much less own. Itā€™s opened up my hill climbing experience like nothing else. Throttle response is so tight!

To those reading: these things rock and look gorgeous to boot. Highly recommended to anyone looking for one of the most powerful and solidly built drive units on the market.

IMG_20181018_193941

6 Likes

What length motor shafts can we use with this beast?

What about MBS trucks ?

I trimed my TB 6380 shafts down to 26mm.

@monkey32 26 mm

@Blacksheep unfortunately no plans for the MBS :sweat: since Iā€™ve seen first hand some of the plastic truck plates break, I donā€™t think is safe on those.

@MBS whatā€™s going on with the quality of the truck base ? I used you Matrix2 system when was first introduced and still is kicking and handling punishment like a champ. Maybe is a bad batch ?

Ah, but what if you cncā€™d a a replacement piece for that plastic piece? I think @MBS is considering doing some in metal in the future (I might be mis-remembering this though).

Or I will just wait until they are all Kaly parts and no Trampaā€¦:wink:

1 Like

I could look into that. But if @mbs is coming with an aluminum base then I can start working on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

i wish these could be adapted for surfrodz tkp.

3 Likes

I definitely want to get a Mountain(ish) board going sometime before summer with a gear drive. But I also donā€™t like the plastic part on MBS and wonā€™t use the tramp stuff.

I canā€™t wait until all your stuff is in house or there is a better, more robust MBS option for es8.

Only problem I will run into, is I like to DIY, and I will have to figure out a way to add my own flavor to some of your stuff without buying a complete. Because, well, just more fun that way.

1 Like

I love the simplicity look of these I wish I could test them out.

I feel you man. DIY always is closer to the heart :hugs:

Finishing the mold all others parts are being made. :slight_smile:

Slowly but surely Soon :hugs:

1 Like

Wow. Your work is just amazing @Kaly. Thatā€™s a beautiful piece of kit. New Matrix II Aluminums are in process. Availability will depend on where you live, but official release should be no later than January 2019.

12 Likes

Great to know brother Sound like I need to get to work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I printed nylon spacers for my TB motors to get them to fit, as they have a longer shaft.

1 Like

Anyone using TorqueBoard motors or anything with a longer shaft, here are some spacers I printed up out of Nylon 910 alloy to adjust. Still plenty of room between the cans as these hangers are behemoths.

8 Likes

Thanks man This is a great addition.

1 Like

How often do the gear drives need to be maintained? When do they need to be cleaned out/regrease/realigned?

2 Likes

The grease should be check every 3-4 months. No need to realign.

3 Likes

Approaching 4000 miles on my first gear drive. The only time Iā€™ve had to change anything was because itā€™s outlived 3 pairs of motors. Ridiculously solid.

2 Likes