Kicktails taboo for esk8/longboards?

I carry my board into the office or into the garage and that’s about it, otherwise I’m standing on it and riding it.

There was this one random time though when I went for a long ride, ended up in downtown Sacramento and they had the streets closed off and beer being sold everywhere.

Needless to say I rolled my board straight to the nearest booth to get some beer, had to drag it throughout the whole area while I was there hitting on chicks.

Some things you just cannot help, accidents happen and I had to have a few unplanned beers before heading home, but such is life, right?

Carrying it around just makes me feel funny…

3 Likes

Cool story; whilst getting my board from the anonymous gifter on here, I went into the city by greyhound with my sax on my back and a backpack. Intentions were to make some money busking with my sax while I was there.

After getting said board, I had to take a couple trains to get back to my greyhound. I got pretty lost and wound up lugging the board around for so long. Getting on wrong trains in the process. I finally realized I wouldn’t be able to catch my greyhound, as I had missed it (poor planning and too much excitement). I tried to book a later one but they were all full.

I sat in the subway on the board, played my sax, and wound up meeting a Broadway musician who invited me to an extremely popular show that was going on backstage. We wound up navigating through a super congested city where I still couldn’t actually ride the board and was still stuck carrying it with all my stuff.

Even if I wanted to ride and knew where I was going, I don’t think I could’ve rode the esk8 with all the foot traffic. Ruined my jacket some from the griptape, was very sore the next day, but it was a great day lol.

Moral of the story is, sometimes you do, indeed, have to carry your board around lol

1 Like

I usually enjoy your enthusiasm a lot. Sometimes you just go with it and go a little overboard. No hate or anything, just correcting things that are not true or rather opinion than fact but stated as such.

I am not going to argue about that because it is silly rather I just state what is standard knowledge. Not everything is about “embracing everything”, longboarding is definitely not a fiction. It is not for the consumer the hobbyist or an enthusiast to decide what form factor is given what name and function. It is the competition of the sport itself and it’s regulations that define that. A skateboard is universally clear what it is. Check out the close to 950’000 registered riders. Not a single one of them doesn’t ride a board that doesn’t fit the text box definition of a skateboard. A double kick skateboard, with non-reverse trucks. To clearly distinguish conversations, online stores and retail chains, it is obvious what one understands under a skateboard- (insert any part e.g: truck, deck etc.) That is why every online store or conversations use skateboard the way they do, since it is a clear distinction from a longboard. It is not up to oneself to redefine definitions to their liking’s. The word skateboard is an industry standard with a clear descriptive category of what it entails. For that mater Longoard as well. (won’t continue this cuz it follows the same explanation).

Well nope. There a categories and sub-category’s in everything for a reason. But for general use and practicality you do not include the odd man out, rarities or persist on minuscule differences for the sake of definition. (otherwise categorizing cars, food would be absolutely impossible).

Again, your opinion isn’t fact. So having had that experience doesn’t meen al bets are off. It means that dude was way out of your league and trashed the whole field. Also every Dh race has clear rules and regulations regarding every part of your longboard, from deck size to wheelbase, to weight etc.[quote=“squishy654, post:21, topic:42787”] worthy and functional addition to any skateboard and not knowing how to use one is never an excuse [/quote]

Again just nope. Not a worthy addition to every deck, nor discipline. Neither is there a mandatory skill one needs to have iusing a kicktail and certainly there is no right to ridicule anyone’s inability to use one.[quote=“squishy654, post:21, topic:42787”] hy do tech slide skateboard all have kicktails if the form of skating “tech sliding” doesn’t involve ollies, kick turns, or anything that uses them? Your [/quote]

Ehh well they have them since it is absolutely necessary fur a huge variety of elements, tricks and motion sequences within the sport. "doesn’t involve (…)anything that uses them ? You trippin mate ? most basic elements of tech sliding incorporate a kicktail by the basic need of its existence in order to perform said element.

I really really appreciate your input on this forum lately I absolutely do. You spread joy and enthusiasm to almost every thread you join. Let’s just talk out of personal expertise and experience. Lets keep it factual and honest. Humble and simple is my motto, no need to over-analyze everything, create a meta discussion out of trivial stuff if there is no need for it… Sentences like this ain’t working: [quote=“squishy654, post:21, topic:42787”] .a kicktail is a worthy and functional addition to any skateboard and not knowing how to use one is never an excuse [/quote]

Let us enjoy some rad footage of tech sliding since we are on the subject, hey its even gils :slight_smile: :slight_smile:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15OkHXKx0HQ

2 Likes

no, moral of the story is you needed a big&$$ horn :smile: why didn’t you use your sax?

2 Likes

Help me with this list guys…did I miss any?

1 Dancing 2 Cruising 3 Long distance pumping (LDP) 4 Freeride 5 Downhill 6 Skatepark (all-around) 7 Street (flip tricks popcicle) 8 Bowl (cement) 9 Pool 10 Ditch 11 MegaRamp 12 Mini/Penny 13 Freestyle 14 Garage 15 Push (LDPush) 16 Pintail 17 Freeboard 18 Electric 19 Buttboard 20 Luge 21 Slalom 22 Skogging 23 Beer Getter, cityslasher 24 Mall Grab* 25 Filmer 26 SurfSkate 27 Boarder Cross (pumptrack) 28 AT Mountainboard 29 Vert/half pipe (wood) 30 Skullboarding 31 Technical Sliding (techslide)

Lol. I’m a musician. The main reason I wanted an esk8 was for gigs where parking sucks. So I do have to be able to carry that. But walking around aimlessly not knowing where to go somewhere I’ve never been in subways where you aren’t supposed to ride skateboards caused me to have to carry the board.

All this longboard talk is making me actually want one though. Those trick videos are rad

2 Likes

well theres this now…

it has a tail, rkp, caster. ripskate?

1 Like

Commuter?

10 char

I’m really loving those braille guys videos. I’ve been watching them since last night. They skate anything. Even glass and a mattress lol

1 Like

My latest creation for carrying my board. I made a grip tape cover and strap. Part of my weekly routine is going to the VA hospital where there are 9 floors worth of nonskateable space. Carrying has seriously been a dilemma for me.

2 Likes

It is a fun deep hole on YouTube they made there :slight_smile: Definitely entertaining and they’ve been giving away the first part of their series and doing some more beginner tutorial videos it seems like now (thank god the fidget spinner thing is over)

1 Like

lol thats one of their shows.

i’ve been watching since this guy was in braille videos haha the timing is just… :sunglasses: snowskate.

1 Like

kicktail fo lyfe. just sayin.

also I agree with @squishy654 skateboarding is skateboarding.

1 Like

I dunno

Lol skateboarding to me is just…not my thing all around. Whether it be park, street, trick etc… requires concentration, the opposite of what my soul desires

Longboards, have alot similarities to surfing… fast, carvy, pumpy, flowy, variable stance, mind clearing. There is a clear difference to me.

But that has nothing to do with the convo… I like kicktails but boards without them are just fine too.

4 Likes

Yes, commuter and also grocery runner. Because the board I take to work has different uses than the board I take to the grocery store. Grocery store board needs to be small and nimble and fit in the cart, commuter board should be fast and super dependable. Like a 7.5" park/trick deck versus a loaded Tesseract or something.

1 Like

I would go with “23 Beer Getter, cityslasher” for that one…Although we most likely commute more miles on electric…Electric hasn’t really been broken down yet into any standards, now has it?

Here’s a great example, although I would lean more toward an old school ditch cruiser this is a great beer getter… Cheap small cruiser deck, 9 ply for a sturdy ride in case you have beer drinkin, Bennett Vector 5.0 front truck on a wedge with Riptide Krankz for pump rebound, and a very dead 125mm 35degree Randal rkp rear truck spinning some Volante Checkers in 64mm with reds…

That’s similar to what I had in mind

It’s a 7.5" park/trick deck but the front and back trucks are both forward of their normal position a little bit and a handle on the front

2 Likes

Blunt slides, tail slides, 1-foots, surrender slides… to name a few

and they lock you in on big rotations

1 Like

I knew this I was just trying to troll a point, lol

Kicktails have a place in all “proposed” forms of skateboarding…