La Croix Long Range Cruiser Carving Machine

Substitute the threaded cap for one you find on a childproof medicine bottle winky winky

2 Likes

first real range test today in 40 degree C perth heat

Total distance 51.9 km range test ride 19 Jan

basically gunned it wherever possible and accelerated up hills . The board was superb in handling and felt very stable even at high speed. The power and torque is a big step up from my other diy build with dual 5065 motors.

Pack starting voltage was 41.5V with balanced packs to within 10mV

End of 52 km ride pack voltage = 36V with balanced packs within 9mV

end%20of%20range%20test%2019%20Jan%202019

Will do a longer range test (maybe 75 km) on a cooler day!

Will now measure how many charge Ah it takes to get back to full charge.

And a few shots of completed board- all that remains to do is to fit headlights and a brake light

8A321614-80D8-4A1D-BA7B-4FA826D61F08

IMG_4414 IMG_4411 FD7A8057-D897-4AD2-A456-1C812E33B7B4 IMG_4410 IMG_4413

25 Likes

So it took 730Wh to get back to fully charged after range test yesterday.

This means board consumed 14 Wh/km yesterday which is not too bad considering the agressive riding at times.

3 Likes

Throttle curve looks upside down. Don’t you want an S shape? So that the throttle is more touchy close to zero and less touchy in the power zone?

check the axes on your tool !

1 Like

No generally not. You want smooth control of throttle at low values because there is a bigger difference in feel between 0-10A than 10-20A.

And then there was three -all built to same electrics/battery recipe but slightly different motor mounts and wheels

image image image image

11 Likes

These builds take all 11 balance wires to a socket for external bms and portable voltage meters etc. so the main purpose of the fuse is to protect against external to board accidental shorts of the balance leads

2 Likes

Really great build, wished I went with the 50E on my build, but to expensive for now

And 14 Wh/km is really great on pneumatics

1 Like

really nice built and very good built in safety features :+1:

have you considered using separate receiver for the ppm/ brake light unit? my concern is if something happens with the brake light/wiring/module it could affect your ppm signal.

yeah 50E are performing very well - went for a 51km ride last weekend - flat out where possible - average speed 29.5 km/hr - top speed 46 km/hr and gunning it up hills

Started fully charged 41.7V and end voltage 35.1V ( and cell pack balance within 20 mV)

Still to do a 75/80km ride to fully test range of board !

1 Like

yeah - forgot to put it on the board schematic - but on my earlier build with brake lights actuated on PPM signal - I put a 5k resistor in series with the control wire from receiver to brake light module to overcome concern of brake light module messing up PPM signal to VESC. Will do the same thing this time.

For the mini remote - haven’t tried it but I am not sure you can bind one remote to two receivers -in any case you will still need a 5V supply for second receiver!

Cheers

What would you say the best motor mount would be? I’m considering building one of these.

Thanks Scott

holy freak im getting a pack like yours and I thought the 30mile range was a big joke, to be honest… very excited

How did you program your VESC? and How punchy was it?

Im getting a 12s6p of the 50Es and I just want to make sure the ride is torquey enough for me to not want to upgrade for at least a little while

Scott - What is your criteria for “Best” ?

VESC settings are in a post above - plenty of torque/speed throughout battery range with the 10S6P 50E Pack.

1 Like

I’m new to Esk8 so inexperienced. The LaCroix seems to meet my needs. I used to skate as a teenager and long time wakeboarder/ski/showboard. I am in the market for an Esk8 for transportation and carving fun. I built and fly a bush plane and want a Esk8 with a/t wheels to take with me on trips. Light weight carving machine is what I’m looking for.

I’ve been watching Esk8 on social media and concluded the Lacroix is the closest to meet my needs. I saw a post of a guy who built a Lacroix on the Facebook page. The post claimed it was even better than a factory LaCroix. It used the Unity, better battery and it had better performance. My thinking is if I can build a better board than ordering one then I’m all in. I posted questions asking about a parts list. The builder pointed me to this thread.

I am trying to build a list of parts needed to build an ESK8. I like the look of the 3 boards that you posted. I know I can order the board, trucks and battery case from LaCroix. The Unity can be ordered from Enertion. Not sure specs on the Motors or mounts. There may be other stuff I don’t know about yet? From your post you used 3 motor mounts. I’d like to know which would be best. I am in the US if that helps with your advice.

If you have time a parts list an where to order would be awesome.
Thanks

Scott

1 Like

Scott there is bit of a parts list on very first post

1 Like

I’m fixing to start a 10s6p of Samsung 50E cells for a custom La Croix. 20190127_005927 20190127_01012720190125_032425 20190127_004119

9 Likes

Completed a few other minor bits to finish off enclosure electrics

Brake Light

Using a Turnigy RC ON/OFF switch here to drive a brake light ( link to Turnigy RC Switch ) with switch PPM input wired in parallel with mini remote receiver channel 2 with a 1k resistor in signal wire to switch. This RC switch providers a 5V output which is on with throttle above 50% ( neutral 1.5 mS) and off below 50% (braking) . I wired this 5V output to a miniature 5V relay which was hot glued to the switch. Using a NC contact off the relay will provide a brake light voltage when remote is below 1.5 mS PPM .

IMG_4459

IMG_4460

Have ordered a brake light from AliExpress (link to Brake Light) which will mount on motor mount cross struts. brake%20lights This has functionality of a strobing tail light and then a bright flashing braking light. It is operated of 12V so installed a 12V BEC module off vesc dc supply. Schematic below brake%20light%20schematic

Warning Bell

Using another Turnigy RC ON/OFF switch here but connected to receiver channel 1 ( mini remote steering wheel) . This will sound the pedestrian/dog warning bell when the mini remote steering wheel is activated. schematic below warning%20bell%20schematic%20

Using this warning bell with small lipo removed and powered by mini receiver 5V supply with a dropping diode to reduce voltage to 4.2V . The device will be mounted inside enclosure - it is quite loud at 120 dB. warning%20bell

Front Headlights

Using two of these lights that have proved very reliable on previous builds and they are very cheap (A$13) . They can output 7,000 lumens each and have low/medium/high/strobing beam modes. They normally run off a 2S LiIon battery pack (8.4V) but I have tested them on 9V with good results ( and slightly less current than 8.4V).

lights

Will mount then on front trucks using supplied rubber bands initially – with a fancy metal bracket to follow later.

5 Likes