La Croix Long Range Cruiser Carving Machine

Build is totally complete now with following items recently completed

Flipsky DUAL FSESC 6.6 - updated firmware to latest release V6 FW 3.48 with no hardware limits. Works fine and annoying brake grab at 4-5km/hr now vanished. No other noticeable differences.

Flipsky DUAL FSESC 6.6 BLE Module - https://flipsky.net/collections/accessories/products/core51822-ble4-0-bluetooth-2-4g-wireless-module-nrf51822-onboard-ws82013 flipsky%20BLE%20NRF51%20module

Connected a Flipsky V6 NRF51 module in slave UART port. Main function of this is to be able to use the VESC Tool 1.0 in full functionality over the phone. Worked fine with no issues. It keeps connection over about 20 metres. BLE 2.4 GHz whip antenna is inside enclosure. Also use this to connect to XMatic App on phone - so can run both Metr (from master uart )and XMatic ( from slave uart) app at same time.

Enclosure bolts – changed over to M3 button socket screws on enclosure for nicer look and strength.

enclosure%20m3%20bolt

Brake Light – mounted tail/brake light on rear cross-strut with a piece of angle aluminium. This acts as tail light and much brighter brake light which is activated when remote is below mid trigger position (coasting) . Fitted a 100-ohm resistor in tail light circuit to reduce brightness a bit. Reduces tail light to approx. 8V.

IMG_0050

brake%20lights%20photo%202

Warning Bell – originally had this installed inside enclosure but sound level was too low – so moved it to rear of enclosure on outside . This is operated by steering wheel on mini remote (Channel 1) and works well.

Front Headlights – mounted these on front truck using supplied elastic rubber grip. Used these on a few rides now and the mount appears to hold OK. Usually run on low beam on paths with other traffic and switch to high beam when no other traffic around.

front%20headlights

front%20headlights%20photo%202

Have completed approx. 600km on the board with thoughts

• Board handles awesomely and is a level above everything else for long range cruising rides
  • Extremely stable at high speed (+45 km/hr) whilst still having carvability at lower speeds
  • No issues with MBS “roadie” tyres
  • No troubles with MayTech 6374 motors ( but others in group build have had problems with rotor shaft becoming loose at cowling end)
  • I did have a problem with one of the MBS Pro 2 trucks axles, but this was replaced under warranty OK
  • Flipsky FSESC 6.6 has been faultless and normally runs at 10-degree temperatures rise above ambient . Max motor current is set to 100A for max torque .
  • Main power ON/OFF mechanical relay has been faultless ( pleased that no ASS in this board)
  • Battery pack – Samsung 50Es have been superb with high capacity and very even pack discharge ( within 30mV ) . Longest ride has been 65 km pushing board aggressively to max speed and arrived home with 35.0V . So estimated range is easily 75km + . Consumption is approx. 13-14 Wh/km . I keep tyres pumped up to 50 psi.
  • Enclosure strip and sealing – opened up enclosure recently and the inside is very clean with no sign of dust etc. The internals looked identical to the initial build.

Looking forward to this board being trouble free for a long time and completing a lot of long-range cruises covering a lot of km .

Overall – I think this DIY build is substantially better than the stock board and well worth the effort in the build.

All five La Croix in the DIY group build are now complete with happy campers all round.!

Thanks a lot to @Arch for providing decks and enclosures all the way from Montreal to Perth Australia on the opposite side of the planet !

boards

( mine is second from right)

14 Likes

great wrap up of our build mate! very pleased with everything we were able to deliver on this build :+1:t3: (mine is second from the left :smiley:)

2 Likes

awesome awesome.

I remember you had a horn glued to the mini remote. Do you prefer the RC activated one mounted to the board?

And, did you do anything different with the relay switch? pics? :slight_smile:

1 Like

For Remote - yeah use the mini remote with inbuilt horn on my other Land Yatch build - still going strong. RC activated one on bottom of enclosure would probably be my choice going forward for future builds.

ON/OFF Relay - in this build went for any even easier solution than last build - a non latched mechanical relay with a simple pushbutton ON/OFF switch.

80A%20relay

This works very well to date -( I soldered all connections to relay)

and very cheap link - 80A 36V Relay from AliExpress

not sure why people still use expensive and prone to failure electronic anti-spark switches!

3 Likes

Verrry interesting.

Please forgive my lack of actual knowledge. :slight_smile: This means the coil has good wide voltage range, and uses 1.8w when the relay is in “on” position?

But the power path is actually rated for 14vdc only (contact rating)?

And no power means switch is open?

So cheap!

it works

suggest you start a new thread if you want to debate vesc switching duty and relay contact rating Cheers

1 Like

Samsung 50E 21700 12s5p 1260 Wh 20190227_131950

9 Likes

1.26 kWh no?

1260 kWh = 1260000 Wh :scream:

7 Likes

If this calculation is correct in a 12s5p configuration 30%20PM

1 Like

5000ah is wrong, one cell is 5000mah aka 5ah.

4 Likes

I see what you’re saying it’s just the way I have used the calculator to get the capacity, I just forget to drop the k 1.26 kWh = 1260 wh

2 Likes

i don’t know where you get 75km with 30ah pack with a 80kg board lol! you must be 5.2 with 130 pound my complete board weight 25kg with lipo 16ah/ 12s (9pounds) pack and l weight 190 pounds and i can do 23km with some mostly flat surface at 25-30kph average my chain drive is 10/48 (5/1) top speed on gps 53kph to acheive this range i have to be very smooth on trottle and if i do speed this will drop at 15km range I am very lite compare to your set up

all true, but that is just a capacity calculation, not a range calculation a lot more info is needed to roughly calculate range. Even at 27lb it will get well over 30 miles. So far I haven’t seen anyone do a true range test on one. I would assume their legs turn to jelly before they hit bottom. Soon this will be on a board and we may get a report

not sure what you are saying here

see above for my discharge test = 1,051 Wh from 42V to 30V.

I average about 14/15 Wh/km on this board and this is similar to my other pneumatic tyre board

The rest is maths =70/75km range

Cheers

Happy for you if you get 14-15 Wh/km with all that weight you probably run mostly on flat surface. The thing l don’t like about high gear ratio (58 teeth and up) is the top end come too quickly ,btw at 40k/h my motors are not screaming so its great to have some juice left to get 53-54 top speed if needed

All five boards in DIY group build together on a 95km ride earlier this week

image image image

13 Likes

So, 95km (60 miles) ride any stop and charge? or is this on one charge with the 50E 12s5p?

3 Likes

I thought watt hours of a pack should be calculated with nominal voltage? As that is roughly the average voltage of the pack under load over a full discharge.

Cool pack though!! Very neet.

2 Likes

i ride since 2015 and i made several change in ratio and the esk8 calculator is very close to my top speed and range real 30-35 km with (25kph average speed )and again it depend on weight of the person and if you soft with the trottle if someone can proof i can do 60km with a 12s 16ah lipo pack give me magical the recipe please !! i use dual 190kv 6374 motor

All very true, feather-light guys get much more range than the heavy guys, and so for the throttle if your hard on the acceleration and braking. everything is a factor. We are currently working on a set of batteries made with the Sanyo 20700c 35A cells and think they will surpass some of the High Amp lipo set ups…

3 Likes