Landyachtz EVO 36 Falcon 2018

Doubt that, my buddy is 6’4 220 lbs with a Meepo 1.5 and he has no issue with it, even up hills.

I could prolly make it run cooler by reducing the power input to the motor but how fun is that? :smiley:

1 Like

Just couldn’t wait with testing the CAM paths for the custom truck. In the making! Time will tell if it fails bad :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

If I can suggest something is choose your stock smaller and make better optimization in Fusion. Other than that can’t wait to see final result :slight_smile: Good job :wink:

1 Like

Thanks. I have a lot to learn when it comes to optimizing paths in Fusion 360. Have you seen any good videos on YouTube on this subject? All I’ve learned off cnc comes from there (not a machinist by trade).

The stock is 120x100x30mm cut from a 100x30mm bar I had around. The truck is 117.6x80x30 so it’s not that much larger than stock. Should I cut it even more down?

Well there’s 20mm difference between one dimension so that’s quite a lot but not terrible. I’m not an exper by any means but learned quite a lot from those guys https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0IyK4ntgdPTTjsxjvyHPg Soon you be super good at that because you have your own machine :wink:

1 Like

True but I have this benchtop saw that’s really crappy and hard to cut with. Way faster to mill off 20mm than cut it on this saw :smiley: In a proper shop with a good saw it’s prolly another story.

Funny. I also watch that guy a lot on YouTube. I really like how he explains stuff.

I practice as often as I can but everything takes so much more time when I don’t even know the basics… Projects like these are perfect where dimensions doesn’t matter a lot and there is a lot of setups. I will prolly have to do 5 setups for this part.

1 Like

Four operations to go and it should be done. Already seeing a lot of stuff that needs to be done better for tomorrows run but I think it can do the job for a prototype at least.

IMG_3197

10 Likes

i love how casual you are about stuff that is clearly very complex. :joy:

7 Likes

IKR!? reminds me of Elon Musk saying something like, these cars we have are just not right, I’m gonna make my own

2 Likes

Lol. This is really complex to me but prolly not to someone that works with cnc. This thing is a beast compared to the original one. Time will tell if it cools better. Most complex part I’ve machined before with 6 repositionings due to my machine center only having 3 axis. Everything including tapping is done with the cnc. The slot for the motor cable became really bad since I sacrificed doing two more operations to get it perfect… All good for a prototype.

IMG_3227IMG_3226IMG_3229

14 Likes

beef-its-whats-for-dinner-300x264

6 Likes

Is the talon actually that much better? Looking at my evo build and the way it’s shaped, it’s almost built exactly for what I want out of an esk8 board. The rear allows for a larger truck 218mm, and large motors, the front is slimmer and allows for a caliber truck for agile front steering.

The stability in the back and steering up front that it tends to naturally fits this setup so so well.

1 Like

Nice! but I think it might not work as good as you hope for :wink:

Time will tell :smiley: I’ll test it today. It’s a lot more surface area and more contact with the metal sides of the motors to transfer heat out to the hanger. Will bring the thermal camera and take a picture directly after riding today.

in that case it might work :wink:

Kinda hard to tell here but look at the sides towards the motors here.

IMG_3186IMG_3233

5 Likes

Sure better but you can see how much more this transfer area can be improved. Can’t wait to see thermal pics. Good job man :smiley:

I’m listening! :smiley: If you see anything I could Improve I’d be happy to try to change it. These things can eat more current if I can cool them I think. I’m already thinking that the best is prolly to go with straight fins all the way and maybe drill holes so air can flow through and cool over a larger surface area. Maybe I even could increase the area towards the motor more.

Todays test is kinda not a good comparison against yesterday. I was driving at the same spot but I was driving a lot harder than two days ago. I consumed 58Wh vs 89Wh so it indicates harder use today. I also went more uphill and more time at 100% throttle and hit 51km/h compared to low 40 smt the other day.

So for the pictures. I brought the camera to take pictures straight after a hard pull. I did register 63.5°C at the motors right after a hard pull uphill for 1km (that was third time going up/down the same hill). Yesterday I could not hold my hand on the truck after two rounds but today it was no problem to hold it there on the third but it did indeed get warm and especially when I was not riding so air could cool it down. I forgot to bring tape so the last picture of a cold truck is lying due to reflections on the bare aluminium. I also noticed that the temp of the truck increased quickly when I stopped.

FLIR0test

2 Likes

If this approach doesn’t work out, you should definitely make an attempt to make a narrower hanger to emulate carvons with the raptor hubs before switching over to belts!