Lengthened my antenna: Chinese dual hub motor control board?

So I soldered and shrink wrapped about an extra meter of wire to the short little 10 cm antenna on my daughter’s generic Chinese dual hub motor control board. I could cut it shorter but before I do, is there any benefit to keeping it longer? I can run it up or down the length of the board or into any shape or pattern that might be best for reception.

-Peter

Well you normally want to try and keep it away from live wires. Prebuilts go up to threw the deck into a small channel, then grip tape hides it.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Makes sense about live wires. Did not know about pre builts as I have never had one. Maybe I will do the same thing though. Sounds like a good idea.

I could run this thing pretty much the whole length of the board after I cut a groove for it. Or would that much length be a waste?

-Peter

1 Like

Radio antennas are designed to be in specific length increments based on frequency range and power transmitted so I’d keep the length added consistent with the original length.

3 Likes

good point. I remember taking an antenna course in physics in Uni. If I had the length at frequency matched multiple of the original, that might not be too bad. but might be more trouble than its worth.

2 Likes

I say wrap it in foil and call it good.

1 Like

What does foil do? Shielding?

1 Like

Do not listen to me. I was joking

1 Like

LOL. It seems a credible joke, anyway. :wink:

2 Likes

Certain things you just shouldn’t mess with. Radio bits are such things. As noted above, antennae length and sometimes shape are specifically designed to be the most effective size / shape.

2 Likes

Have you checked your mail lately?

Re ^^ no. Only just now.

So… Things went terribly badly with that control board. I ended up accidentally pulling the antenna off the board. And it’s not at all obvious where to solder it back on. Or if it was soldered on to begin with. So I ordered and received another one from the same bloke that Oren used on his DIY builds. It looks exactly like the one I ruined, even has the two identical purple caps, only it came with a big thick aluminum plate for a heat sink. The new one works really well when I ride this board. I am about 91 kg (200lbs) and the old one used to cut out every so often. I had to let go of the throttle then go back to it and it would work again. So anyway, the new control board never cuts out and works really nicely without cutting out even with my weight.

So getting back to the old control board…

1. I Wonder it if was cutting out because my antenna extension had partially pulled the original antenna off the board?

2. Or if it was cutting out because over current? But the new board looks almost exactly the same save for the thick plate and the new on issn’t cutting out.

3. Anyone ever soldered the antenna wire back on to one of these? I hate to just throw the old one away if putting the antenna back will fix it.

-Peter

2 Likes