Lengthened my antenna: Chinese dual hub motor control board?

So I soldered and shrink wrapped about an extra meter of wire to the short little 10 cm antenna on my daughter’s generic Chinese dual hub motor control board. I could cut it shorter but before I do, is there any benefit to keeping it longer? I can run it up or down the length of the board or into any shape or pattern that might be best for reception.

-Peter

Well you normally want to try and keep it away from live wires. Prebuilts go up to threw the deck into a small channel, then grip tape hides it.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Makes sense about live wires. Did not know about pre builts as I have never had one. Maybe I will do the same thing though. Sounds like a good idea.

I could run this thing pretty much the whole length of the board after I cut a groove for it. Or would that much length be a waste?

-Peter

1 Like

Radio antennas are designed to be in specific length increments based on frequency range and power transmitted so I’d keep the length added consistent with the original length.

3 Likes

good point. I remember taking an antenna course in physics in Uni. If I had the length at frequency matched multiple of the original, that might not be too bad. but might be more trouble than its worth.

2 Likes

I say wrap it in foil and call it good.

1 Like

What does foil do? Shielding?

1 Like

Do not listen to me. I was joking

1 Like

LOL. It seems a credible joke, anyway. :wink:

2 Likes

Certain things you just shouldn’t mess with. Radio bits are such things. As noted above, antennae length and sometimes shape are specifically designed to be the most effective size / shape.

2 Likes

Have you checked your mail lately?