LHB Phat Matson Deck | 10S4P 360 Wh 18650 w/BMS | Ollin Vescs | Enertion Single 190kv 6372 & Mount | 83mm Flywheel Clones

Hey there, LHB! I was gonna buy the same bms to build 10s4p cell pack but the only one I’ve found for purchase inside the EU was this one: http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/bms-battery-management-system/battery-bms-with-switch-for-10s-lipo-battery/ Is it the same BMS you’ve had in this pic of yours? Or is it only for lipo batteries as it says in the Alien Power System’s listing?

if it says its for lipos, its for lipos. You don’t want to use a BMS designed for one thing on another. As Egon might say, it would be bad.

1 Like

Thank you, sir! :slight_smile:

lipo and liion have identical BMS parameters - if you read the description of the BMS youll see that all the values are equally reasonable for any liion battery. overcharge protection 4.28V (if you charge to 4.2V per cell its good to have the overcharge protection slightly higher to avoid weird charger/BMS stop/resume cycles), discharge stop at 3V (quite high, good for healthy cells), balance to 4.2V

The BMSs i use are labeled for li-ion/lipo as well, and work for both, but they’re labelled for such. I was simply suggesting you don’t want to use something labelled for one thing on another. Like lifepo4 which are usually right next to the li-ion/lipo BMSs and are running a completely different voltage but look identical physically.

I’m really confused now… I did exactly that what you’ve written about @whitepony; meaning that I’ve compared the specs of the two and they were indeed very similar. And so now I have to ask, since I’m far from being knowledgeable when it comes to such electronic intricacies: so is it okay to use for a non lipo setup, or not? :wink: Is there a definite answer at all? or I won’t find out until I actually try? :wink:

1 Like

A followup on my search. This is what Alien Power Supply had to say about their BMS:

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: bruno tollot [email protected] Date: 28 April 2017 at 21:28 Subject: Re: a question regarding your BMS with switch for 10S Lipo battery To: Paulus Germanus [email protected]

HI, they are the same, yes. You can buy from bestpower. They are one of our supplier

Please feel free to contact us for any other question or help

Regards Alien Electronics LTD

Alien Electronics LTD is a registered company in England and Wales. This transmission is confidential and may be legally privileged. If they have come to you in error then you must take no action based upon them but contact us immediately. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

On 28 April 2017 at 20:25, Paulus Germanus [email protected] wrote:

Dear Bruno!

The BMS HCX-D223 you’re listing says only “10S Lipo battery” and the one I’d like to buy is HCX-D223V1 - this one http://bestechpower.com/37v10spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCM-D223V1.html

• which says “Li-ion and Li-Polymer”. Is this the same device?

Thanks for your support! Best regards, Pawel

trust me next time :wink:

1 Like

@longhairedboy Good sir, could you plz tell me what awg are those black balance wires? And also what type/kind of wire is that? I’ve googled my share and didn’t seem to find any relevant answers. Thanks!

AWG 24 or 26 is common for balance wires. Thicker wires are better if you plan on charging through the balance leads.

1 Like

i’m pretty sure that’s 22 awg high strand count silicone wire. I can’t see the image you quoted because the post didn’t do right but scrolling up and looking at it i recognize the wire.

now that i’m stacking my packs differently i don’t even use that wire anymore. I can just use the wire that comes with the BMS.

1 Like

Do you think this BMS we were discussing would work well with 10s5p battery as well? Or is it good only for 10s4p? I already have the BMS ordered, and was contemplating upgrading the battery to 10s5p - hence the question. Thanks!!

whether you end up with a 4P or 5P battery does not matter to the BMS

2 Likes