[Lights] Kaly's recent crash got me thinking

Lazyrolling has red/white light bands. I wear them on each arm above the elbow. Also reflective tape on helmet is good. Take it one step further and get a high vis vest.

1 Like

I think a reflective jacket like the ones construction workers use would be the easiest soltion wince they are really thin and you can take it off and just roll it and put it into your pocket when your done riding

1 Like

Those Halos are great. I use them with the flash setting so itll get the cars attention. I also hold a 750 lumens flash light to point out where ever I go. When i see a car i kinda flash my flashlight in the cars direction (not in there face) so they are aware of me. (i ride everyday 4am to work)

2 Likes

They have hi vis jackets for construction workers with blinking leds

1 Like

Im actually a beta tester for the teltail lights!!! Even got a horn😬!!!

And @sender is right about the rydesafe decals. They are great!image

6 Likes

Are you the one who requested unity orange housing?

Nahhhh. Dont have a unity just yet.

Ahh gotcha. I’m printing the parts for the project / beta’ing as well. I’m pumped for it.

2 Likes

My next mod is helmet mounting a spot light. I never did it before cause my TSG pass is so pretty but now its 2 years old and scratched up so idc i want light lol.

My hand held light works amazingly but it leaves me with no hands to do random stuff like film or change music tracks on my speaker

2 Likes

I have blinking red bicycle lights on my backpack straps at belt-level.

4 Likes

I upgraded to the 3200 lumen version, and a printed 2s1p box. I wish the beam was tighter. Drivers make this really pained face if they get a faceful (don’t worry I’m careful. it sometimes happens with stopped cars)

The handheld works better, but dammit having both hands holding crap is sucks. I want to build a wrist mount for the handheld.

btw this is the best handheld for fast skating.

https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-Catapult-V6-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B07C7SRDFZ

Good brand. Bright, super tight beam, 26650 for good run time, not tiny so you can dissipate heat. USB charging. Good build quality. You’ll be shocked at the throw. Waaay more than car headlights.

Can be had for under $60 I think if you dig. Get the neutral white – less lumens but you can see more.

4 Likes

So, I got this kind of an odd idea and wanted to know your opinions about it. I could “develop” a small module which goes onto your helmet and connects to a ws2812b led strip and receives a trigger signal via an nrf24l01 module when the brake is engaged (via the PWM signal).
So you have a brake light which is mounted on your helmet.

7 Likes

This is a great idea !

2 Likes

Sounds very similar to another project :wink:

I bet its easily adapted from what we were talking about b4

1 Like

I wonder why nobody ever came up with this:

5 Likes

yeah, with the code: “20%” you get it for 60$ in the USA, Canada and Japan.

2 Likes

Gonna beat this drum a bit more. I went through a few lights for eskate road illumination, before getting to the Thrunite Catapult V6. I’m a long time flashaholic.

Here’s a vid that shows the different between bright, and throwy.

I usually EDC some 1x18650 light. Usually an Eagletac or Zebralight, for about 1000lumens OTF, very floody. These are okay for slow skating, maybe 15mph.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC63w-18650-XHP35-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_177.html https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagtac-d25lc2-tactical-clicky

For handheld use for commutes, the coke can 3 or 4 cell 18650 lights are too big, and a pain to charge.

I tried a lumens upgrade trying to keep the small form factor with Emisar D4. Wow lots of light, but reach is still not great, and 3000 lumens is only for a minute or two. D1 threw better but still got hot, and runtime on turbo didn’t cover my 15 minute ride. I got the skylumen versions in a blackfriday sale.

https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/emisar-d4vn-smallest-18650-quad

Next up, a big head compact thrower, Eagletac SX30C2. 1x18650. This is pretty good but the beam is like a pencil, with a very tight hotspot. It reached far enough, but I had to move the spot around quite a bit. And the battery needed charging daily.

https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagtac-sx30c2-etsx30c2

Next was a black friday deal on a Olight R50. This guy was pretty good, tons of lumens, decent throw due to lumens. The larger body for the 1x26650 helped with thermal throttling. But the hotspot was a bit too big, and it didn’t reach as far as the SX30C2. The microusb charge is great for commuting, as this light also needed daily charging. Really nice light, great build and quality.

At this point it became clear 1x18650 wasn’t gonna cut it. Mostly for head dissipation of the smaller body. The 1x20700/21700 were not quite right or very expensive. 1x26650 was most likely the best choice.

Thrunite was always a throw oriented brand. Kind of second tier, pretty good but not great lights. Most of the serious throwers have huge heads, not great for pockets. And the more technically throwy the more expensive the light tended to be. Version 6 of the Catapult series shrunk the head way down and moved to a single 26650. The head still housed a crazy reflector. Reviews were great, price seemed a bit high (cheap for the category though), but discount codes brought it down to cheap cheap levels. And microusb for charging. And available in neutral white (cool white gets you more lumens, but neutral white makes shadows “pop” more 3 dimensionally, which is better for almost all flashlight needs). We’re trading lumens down from 3000 to 1500 or so, but focusing it laser tight gives us usable light where we need it, and cuts down on heat.

Skylumen is a long time high end flashlight modder, addicted to throw. Here’s his link for the light. He saves the “R” designation for lights he thinks are very exceptional.

It’s not a great all-purpose light, but damn it’s a good fit for handheld highspeed eskate. It’s really pretty amazing that this light is available at this price point.

There are lots of videos on youtube that show off what this beam looks like compared to more general purpose lights.

Subsequently I tried a Emisar D4s 1x26650, and it’s an awesome light but the Thrunite is way way better for eskate use.

Of course 90% of the time I use the helmet mounted bike light. Not perfect. Lots of glare, uses too much power for the wasted floody lumens. Gets hot. Expensive. But having the hand free is worth quite a bit.

4 Likes

High vis vest

If your on a longboard then grab some light mounts from, nubx3d.com , If he has them listed.

I so wish I had a need for road use of my board :frowning: