Loaded Vanguard // 6374 190KV // 10s4p // GT2B-Sparkle Mod // 3D Printed Enclosure //

Very nice enclosure. What kind of 3d printer are you using? And would you recommend it?

Itā€™s a Prusa i3 clone(Anet A8). With a lot of tinkering, nerves and time upgrading parts you can get it to the level similar to the higher end printers. Iam pretty happy with it since it is my first 3d printer :slight_smile: You also get to learn quite a lot of stuff since its a kit and you have to build it yourself. Quite cheap too.

But if you have the budget and want sth. that works out of the box perfectly Iā€™d go with the Prusa i3 MK2. Keep in mind most 3D Printers have a built size of 220x220x220ish .

1 Like

Box looks as good as it did in the render, nice job!

And the Prusa I3 MK3 is great indeed. I came from a Makebot mini and the Prusa is so much better (and cheaper)

Guys, Iā€™m soldering my cells atm. I just had 2x 2s4p packs and made a mistake :confused: I accidentally had the wrong terminals touching each other and there was a small spark. The multimeter says the voltage is fine. What to do ? Proceed ? Have I just messed up those cells ?

Double check then triple check, look for any damage to the outside of the cell and if not I donā€™t think itā€™ll hurt to use if ur paranoid order a new one

1 Like

Mhmmā€¦ well there are black/burn marks from the copper braid :confused: Also the pack got quite warmā€¦ Voltage is still fineā€¦ Damnā€¦ Thats 16 cells :tired_face:

Just remove the bad cell. The warmth is tge cell shorting

So as far as I can tell this is the same as a burst discharge. Meaning 4p -> 80a discharge. ? Iā€™ll put it in a safety bag and check it tomorrow. Is there a way to check a single cells voltage without having to desolder the pack ?

How long were they touching? Like split second (you notice as soon as you touched, and thatā€™s when you got the spark) or a little while later (after youā€™d done some soldering)

If theyā€™re in parallel, no. If there in series, just test the one cell youā€™re worried about.

Just a split second. It sparked and some of the copper braid ā€œvanishedā€ into smoke :Oā€¦ As soon as they touched I noticed.

If it really was that short youā€™ll be fine.

Mhmmā€¦ Originally I wanted to go without BMS. But I guess that is one reason to get one now. Does the BMS balance the packs as a whole or does it balance each single cell in a pack ?

EDIT: I guess that was a stupid question. So it balances the whole pack to 4,2v and within the pack they balance each other out right ?

Yeah, split second will be totally fine. Just donā€™t make a habit of it :wink:

Most BMSā€™s make sure that each series cell does differ from the other more than some small amount (some are more precise than others). Most do that just at the end of the charge phase. Each parallel cell in a series set will work itself out (I think thatā€™s what you were asking.

Allright. Thanks a lot guys. I just measured the packs today and got 3,51V for the usual voltage of all other packs and for the ones touching I had 3,49V & 3,50V. With the 2 single cells that were involved having 3,49V and 3,48V.

Yup thats what I wanted to know.

If anyone has a 10s BMS available in EU hit me up ! :slight_smile:

Looks like you have 25R cells - you donā€™t actually need a BMS to charge them. I have run my 10S3P pack for 5 cycles now and checked them via balancing cables --> no drift. Whitepony does also not use a BMS and has much more cycles on his packs without any bad experiences.

He actually uses LG HG2 sells if i remember right. But i am going also without bms with 25Rā€™s.

Just noticed it says LG INR25 :smiley: ā€¦ Yeah. Iā€™m using 25R cells. Iā€™ve planned to use them without a BMS too(also inspired by white pony). And just wire the balancer cables so I can use it later on if needed. Would you guys say the Ā±0,2 voltage that I stated above can be seen as harmless ? Iā€™d still go the no BMS route if its alright.

the 0.2 difference will be eliminated once fully charged. You will not see a difference between the cells once fully charged (fully charged meaning you had a CV phase where the current dropped significantly to maybe 100-200mA)

1 Like

Ordered one over at alienpowersystems (still waiting cause itā€™s in backorder):

Maybe he ordered more than one and you can scoop up the other

I saw few ppl talking charge without bms, lipo can do as well? I have 8s and 33.6v 3a charger.