Long term reliability of Enertion FOCBOX running FOC

Look at the problem, I think it might just be a bad connection over the PPM connector, It migt be that the pin are a little bit shorter, or it could be some oxydation, creating a bad connection inside the connector.

The only time I got these kind of behaviour was cause by a cheap cervo cable, the connector was to tall to reach the pins for a good connection.

1 Like

What is erpm vs. Rpm ? I run a 270kv motor on 6s. How many erpmā€™s is that ? I have the default max erpm value 100.000 in bldc, should i change that ?

1 Like

You can estimate your ERPM w/ a calculator like esk8.it

Also see: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/search?q=ERPM

TONS of info on this - good to know before you fry a VESC.

And if you donā€™t have a VESC/FOCBOX/ etc. - the 60k erpm limit should not apply.

1 Like

I have a vesc from esk8.de Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Planning to run foc on 12s belt drive with 190kv using FOCBOX safe? or better to just run bldc

That is a little risky, but it can be done. You will be very close to 60k ermp after inefficiences, and maybe over tooā€¦

ahh screw it, Iā€™m staying with bldc.

I thought the focbox had a mechanical measure to protect the drv chip from frying?

@Enrico this has been discussed a few times bro, try doing a search & a bit more research, thing is most of the time the motor you buy is not the kv you think, it will be underā€¦ so the reality of practice is that even going over erpm by a small amount will not cause any problem. So again I suggest you do a bit more research before you give up to make a informed decision.

Been on the same VESC-Xs since before all the focbox nonsense. We haul ass all over. 12S, 190KV.

Also Weā€™ve been running 13S on them on 190kv motors on MBS 100mm wheels for about a month and a half using an old Tronik sled. That clunky shit is killing it at over 40mph. Not dead yet.

They seem legit. just sayinā€™

2 Likes

I think my FOXBOX croaked the other day while running 190kv at 12s in FOC. I had done well over 200 miles on it so I thought it was solid. I went on a medium hilly 7 mile ride with no problems but got all sorts of weird data from it with crazy high current readings.

When I went to use it in the morning this is all it did. When I pull the throttle the motor clicks and the VESC resets because of an over current fault (using metr). Its not showing up in BLDC_Tool but I can access and change settings with perimetr.

Yes it protect the drv against some things, but not If you Go far over 60k on the erpm

Now Iā€™ve been runing FOCBoxes on 12S for 1 month with no issues.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the kv limit using focbox?

That depends on voltage, but I think the Erpm limit is still 60k

What are thevalues of the battery in the BLDC tool. I will have soon a 12S battery and I donā€™t wanā€™t to do a stupid mistake.

What cells do you have? What cell count? What KV motors do you have? these are important questions to give you current limits

I have 12S5P 30Q pack carvon v3 so 114 i think

You could raise the battery max current up to 50A, 37.5A if you want to be inside manufacturer specs, but the 30Qs have proven to be a very good 20A cell.

Full disclosure, I donā€™t use FOC, i use BLDC in Ssnsored Hybrid mode. I may have accidentally something in this thread.

Ive run 70, 80, 110, 130, 149, and 170kv motors/hubs/direct drives at 12S and FOC on the FOC box(some were VESC-X) without any issues I believe were related to the voltage or FOC mode over the last year.

Ive had 1 FOC failure at 12S on a TB VESC but to be fair I had very high motor Amp settings on that VESC (120A).

2 Likes