Looking for FOC settings for smooth start-up/braking

Startup boost is minimum duty cycle in current control mode. Setting this to .7 would result in insane acceleration as that’s 70% duty cycle. This shouldn’t affect acceleration as much as it does prevent cogging from non-sensored setups.

1 Like

Ok good to know. The BLDC tool is pretty epic, just trying to get a handle on how to really use it to its full potential. Thanks!

startup boost seems kind of the opposite of smoothness in a way as it skips the ramp up of the duty cycle. What’s it good for?

with 20c and 5ah batteries the math says you can do 100 amps continuous but it’s over-advertised and maybe 50 more realistic. You’ll want all of it on 6s. plug in your vesc and see what it’s set at and maybe you could show us your screen shots.

Like i said, useful for preventing cogging when starting up in non sensored mode

1 Like

50 Amps for motor max? The screenshots at the top are what i’m currently set at which is 60. I do want a smoother start but more power could be an answer as the current issue is jittering when im not over 50% throttle

i meant battery max but I see you already posted your screen shots. I’d increase both motor and battery since you’re on 6s especially. i could give you answers if you figure your motor’s resistance and you decide what power you want when you pull the throttle fully.

Ok, here’s the motor resistance I have right now, also I upped my motor and battery max to 70 and 55 respectively and didn’t see too much of a change.

Upped the boost in BLDC and it does give way more torque starting but its really abrupt power. Also I’m a fan of how much quieter FOC is.

youre especially limited by the software as far as how many watts you can do at low speeds because youre only doing 24 volts and the max motor amps is 200. you have two options i came up with as far as wattage since you didnt say.

motor amps at 160 is said to be safe here on this forum but in other parts of the world 200 motor amps is good so you chose. i like 200

360 watts continuous 13 battery amps 160 motor amps and max max of 200

478 watts 20 battery amps 200 motor amps max max of 200 but you could add more battery amps all the way up to 100 according to the battery manufacturer. youre at the max of motor amps and that’s the low end power and the battery amps category is for higher speed power generally. so you can fiddle just wont have even power at all speeds which isn’t important.

motor amps aren’t really amps and you’ll still only pull a max of the battery max from the battery, and that’s the math part you want to skip

Ok this is fantastic! Thanks a bunch! Ill mess around with those settings and let you know how it does. Just to be sure, settings that high shouldn’t cause too much strain on the VESC will it?

try the 160 at least and then there’s no one who will say it’s too high.

1 Like

Bumping the motor max helped a bit, its still not perfect, but I think my next step is to rear mount the motor so I can get better torque and more clearance.

if youre still at 48 battery max that’s going to limit a lot on 6s. I’d bump that way up too. your battery is good for many more and as long as it’s not getting warm it should be good. maybe do 100 battery and 200 motor!

you can get really good power…it’s possible with what you have

you likely willl start to heat your batteries though. with the 20c and 5ah it’s supposedly good for 100 continuous like said but they exaggerate, like said, and people will assume half, but that’s conservative and you could definitely do more and just reduce the lifespan of the battery. the battery will possibly puff a bit and get warm but that happens sometimes in such a situation.

1 Like

@Hummie even after the guys in the Vedder forum told you that you are wrong with the 200 amps theory (standard VESC can only detect 165A maximum) you still continue to give the wrong advice’s.

2 Likes

I explained above that there are people who will say the vesc can only do 160 or 165 motor amps. There are other people who will say it’s fine. Im not sure what’s possible and have asked on vedder’s forum as mentioned. The only reason presented as to why it wont work is the sensor can’t sense that high. I’ve ridden at least 200 miles on 200 motor amps. (now back to two motors and tamed it down). Why it worked fine for me I don’t have an answer but I will do it again on another single drive for sure in maybe a month or two and see what the results are again. It was the quietest smoothest ride I’ve ridden besides having no problem with low speed power or cogging. the vesc software, and the 200 or possibly 160 amp motor limit reduces the possible power at low speed especially on lower voltage as the wattage numbers I posted above show.
It’s worth getting to the bottom of

Good to know, I currently have it set at 160, but I will probably back it down to 150 just to keep away from the max of what the VESC is rated at. Definitely want this thing to last as long as it can.