Looking for hubmotors

Hello builders,

I’m looking for a set of hubmotors, mainly because i want maximum stealth and like the clean look. But unfortunatly i’m unable to find a set for my liking.

The supliers i know of:

• CarvOn Skates (way too expensive for my budget and i don’t like the motors coming outside the wheel)
  • Jacob’s Hubtor from this board (still in development/preorder phase/preorders already gone)
  • Hummina also from this board (currently out of stock, possible restock in a month)
  • esk8.de (still in development, should be coming out somewhere in March)

Are there anymore suppliers that i am unaware of? Or does anyone want to get rid of their set? :smile:

Greetings! Justin

Well I believe you’ve mentioned all, maybe there are some more out there (not in this forum). If budget is your concern together with the look, then you might opt for DIY (make own hub motor).

At least I know 1 supplier which can be quite reasonable but not known for the quality. It used to be in Aliexpress, but not available anymore I believe.

The last thing you can do is patiently wait :smile:

i hope this helps .

I also wanted a stealthy, clean look to my board which I detailed in my blog. The Carvon hubs, in my research, has the most user experience which trumps budget in my opinion. Documented user hours holds more weight for anything I purchase, especially in DIY. After putting at the very least 50 miles on it so far, I can fully appreciate the design of them. It feels “natural”, like I’m riding on a wheel and not on a motor covered with rubber. My only experience with belt drives has been on the Boosted and E-GO but it’s enough to make me want to stick with hubs in the near future. And I’m not talking from the perspective of a guy living in sunny California or down south, I’ve ridden this thing through the torn up streets of Detroit to the rock salted roads of Ann Arbor in 0 degree weather with my hubs holding up strong. But I digress, talk is talk, it didn’t happen if it’s not on video which is why I’m pretty much shooting a new video every week.

2 Likes

I’d go for Carvon. Carvon uses 6374 motors which are much better and will heat up less. I wouldn’t recommend the hub motors for hills higher than 15% incline at 180lbs+.

Carvon is perfect for flat grounds though.

The other hub motors are only the length of the wheel which is nice but can heat up quicker due to a smaller can size.

1 Like

Hmm, i guess i’ll just wait it out for that kind of money… $600(!!) for a dual motor setup compared to Stary board selling a complete electric skateboard for $499 usd, thats sounds insane imo (and i would even have to pay 65 bucks extra in shipping). But thank you guys for the great advice and i do believe that Carvon’s products are surely awesome, but the prices are just to steep for me. I guess i’ll go look for other (cheaper) options, maybe fall back to a belt drive system.

@RunPlayBack Have you actually ever used belt driven electric longboard? if you tried them, what do you think in comparison? There is one thing I dislike about belt drive is the heavy drag when the electronic parts are idle. So during normal kick push it gets really heavy. I really want to know the difference of kick pushing with hub motor. If anyone else have the experience please share it :smile:

I own a Yuneec E-GO and have used a Boosted Dual several times. Agreed on the belt drag, hub has a more natural skateboard feel. What I like about Carvon’s single hub is that I have a lot of confidence hitting my top speed because of the coasting ability. It’s a big reason why my riding style is leaning towards fluidity around obstacles instead of brute force and distance. Even if I lose receiver reception or there is some other electric dropout (which happened when my VESC settings were off) I don’t get thrown off the board and I can maneuver my way out of danger. My board is pretty heavy with the Space Cell so I don’t typically kick push it home or anything but kick pushing on startup is a very smooth transition, like a typical longboard. I don’t get the neck snapping torque that the Boosted and some cases the E-GO does on startup, but after hurting my back from a fall a few months ago, it’s something I don’t really miss. I enjoy a smooth acceleration and smooth coasting on my non electric board and I like that the hub resembles a similar feel.

2 Likes

Ohh yes I forgot you started with ego cruiser :slight_smile: Okay this is a good thing to know as my girl friend likes her deck so much and she doesn’t want to go electric drive all the time.

@Justin Actually if you count it good, the price for dual drive is pretty descent.

Practical DIY requirement to get Dual HUB in comparison to Dual Drive Belt

• 2x SK3 Motor (Avg 70 € * 2) = 140 €
  • 2x Motor Mount (Avg 100 € * 2) = 200 € USD
  • Caliber / Paris Truck = 70 €
  • 80mm Wheel Set = 70 €

Total Cost 480 € not inc your own work, hence lets say dual drive carvon is 600 € is 100 euro additional crafting cost. I think 100 euro extra cost from getting a dual to hub is actually very descent for the stealth look as well as less drag when neutraling. I am not surprised if it could get you a longer distance travel compared to belt.

2 Likes

Yeah i guess you are right, i was thinking from a perspective that its only a motor wrapped with some urethane. But its not that simple. I’ve looked into the CarvOn’s a little bit more but there still things that i’m still not 100% sure of.

1. It seems like they produce an awful sound when braking/cruising (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpz_64a4vyc) is this true or how are the CarvOn users experiencing this? @RunPlayBack (that would defeat my stealthy purpose)
  2. How is the braking in general, any slower/faster than a beltdrive system, even with a single hub?
  3. Is the urethane wheel replaceable when it wears down?

Thanks again for the info/help, if i’m going to spend so much money i want to be well informed :grin:

1. Braking sound comes from motor but triggered by ESC. This is what 150A small RC Car ESC braking sound like (from my experience), but VESC doesn’t have braking sound.

2. This is not something I could answer.

3. Yes it’s replaceable, I’ve sent them an email once asking same question. It could be difficult though as you might need special tool for it, but they are able to guide you with it.

1. Awful sound is rather subjective, have you ever heard what an electric skateboard sounds like? I mean it’s not what I’d consider pleasant but it’s also not the sound of a Harley roaring down the block. The sound actually varies depending on components. With my VESC and FOC mode it’s nearly silent.
  1. I have my VESC settings optimized for the Space Cell so my braking is a smooth transition similar to how I described acceleration. This helps to preserve battery life and is probably safer for me than hard brakes. I’m more aware of my surroundings and won’t get thrown off the board by accidentally hitting the brakes. All of this relates to lowered friction and drag.

2. Carvon offers replaceable wheels and Jerry is pretty adamant when it comes to service and repair.

That silence is really awesome! But from what i understand from all the scattered info, FOC is still in development, not really 100% usable yet, is that true? I have not heard an electric skateboard in real life yet, so my opinion is purely based on youtube vids with crappy sound.

I’ve checkout out your builds and your video’s are insanely awesome, really making it hard for me to not just take the plunge and buy the Dual Carvons and a s.p.a.c.e-cell and get along with it. The only issue right now is money haha

I’m still debating if i’ll just wait another month to see what esk8.de 's hubmotor is going to do (and in the meantime save up some cash). Mainly from a logistical point of view, that would be a lot better for me, being that they are in a neighbouring country from where i live. So shipping/service/repair etc. would be a lot easier on the wallet.

Arghhh decisions decisions decisions…

It just gona get harder… Since it’s new, no one review that hub motor yet. Even if there are, only a few would have tested it (maybe one or two). That doesn’t involve if later on problem can occur (just like enertion remote that some people found it abit uncomfortable with the throttle). You never know.

We (esk8.de) are testing since 6 months now. You can be sure that it is in our own interest that those parts deliver what we expect, since we have to comply with local European law regarding warranty of 2 years and so on. This is a risk we are not taking if we are not a 100% sure.

This is also a fact for the VESCs we are manufacturing and selling too. They are compliant with a lot of certifications like DIN EN ISO 9001-2000, PERFAG, IPC-A-600F, UL, RoHS, WEEE. This adds to the manufacturing cost though!

Beside that we have other main jobs and don’t want to start some sort of big business here. It all done in our spare time.

3 Likes

Strange that I write a fellow German eboard scientist, on English in a forum from a guy in Australia when we are both active in the same German forum in Germany :smiley: I just think the range and the community are better here, even a lot of members are from Europe so it is your market. Anyway, why I write! I think it would be great if you show something from your hub motors. What have you planned about release and kv? I’m planning to build a diy board and some hub motors from you in Germany would fit great :wink:

Wow thats great things to know! Yes and I believe it’s nice if you could make some report or documentation (I don’t know if I miss it somewhere). I might even buy this too :smiley:

We will have two lines of hub motors, one is already known from @Hummie and the other one is our own development which we are still working on. As soon as we are ready I will describe them in detail and we should be able to sell them around mid March.

Specs of the second model will be <100kv, designed for 10s and 12s, customized 63 motors, single or dual operation, already mounted on trucks (2 or 3 different brands), exchangeable wheels, maybe as a “ready to drive”- kit containing VESC and batteries, I don’t know yet.

I’m living in the same city like the Mellow guys, you know. :wink:

2 Likes

FOC is useable for me except it caps top speed at 18mph. I switch between FOC and BLDC depending on the environment I’m riding in. That’s the beauty of the VESC.

I’m currently in the process of a dual Carvon / VESC / Space Cell / Jet board almost identical to my single just slightly bigger.

I’m approaching my eboard builds very similar to how I approach my camera equipment. I could choose to wait for the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing after that but I don’t want to wait. Technology evolves so fast these days. I’d rather live in the moment right here right now, experimenting with visual techniques to communicate the joy we feel when we ride. Rather than pontificate or debate about specs on a forum I’d rather just ride and film a video. It’s the ultimate expression of this kind of activity.

7 Likes