Making a DIY enclosure!

Ive never made an enclosure so I have decided to make it vs. purchasing one. I will be using fiberglass resin and cloth to cover a Styrofoam plug I will be making tomorrow. I have never used fiberglass before so this should be an adventure. Of course I will document the process with pictures as I go.

Before I begin, does anyone have any advise? Feel free to mention anything I may not have thought about.


Wax for easy removak

Use epoxy resin. Polyester resin will likely dissolve the styrofoam. wax paper works well to prevent the resin from sticking to the mold.

1 Like

I had a long conversation with a local who has been building R/C boats for years. According to him as long as I cover everything with clear packing tape I should be good. For resin I will be using ZPoxy as it was suggested and I ordered it a while ago and already have it.


Good luck! Following.

Making the layout.

1 Like

Slight change in layout. I decided to turn the batteries sideways to allow for a more narrow enclosure.

It’s not to bad if you know what your doing. This one is made from scratch in my shop. Solid fiberglass construction with cutouts and seals for the USB ports, charging port, switch, and screen on the space pack.


Well damn, that looks great!



Keep us updated, might be trying this too. Exited to see the result :open_mouth:

It’s ready to cover. Now I just need to figure out how many coats to use! :joy:

Look at my thread, it calls : rebuild my build, On part two you will find usefull info :wink:

Do you mind sharing the file for the motor cover? Ive been planning on drawing one, would save me the trouble.

Could you tell us how you made it ? I’ve worked with fiberglass before, but i’m curious to how you’ve tackled this one. I don’t need a detailed explanation, but a brief work strategy would certainly be appreciated!

You’ll all be sad to know I lost the file for the motor cover. My backup drive died and before I had the chance to replace it (literally a week later) my internal storage drive died as well. I didn’t have time to pull the 3d model files off of it either. So I lost everything. I’m sure I could easily redesign it though and I probably will. I should mention that after a few miles of riding the abs plastic around the screw shatters against the grain.I even tried 100% infill and it still died. It just can’t taking the beating that sidewalk dishes out… So next time I’ll be printing them in pla and investment casting them in aluminum.

As for how I tackled it. I measured each and every one of my components, my space pack, my vescs, my reciever, and my custom low profile fuse holder. Then layed them out in my mind. Drew up a small sketch of wire routing and component placement. Then I made a 3d model of the buck that would act as the stand in for the resin and printed out. I shaved off 10mm into the bottom of my deck to give a flat surface to sit everything against. Layed fiberglass there to bring back the strength it lost on the bottom. Then I lightly super glued the buck in place and covered everything in green painters tape. You can use other tapes it’s just easier to get glass to stick to masking tape. It’ll leave a sticky residue after fiberglass but that’s nothing you can’t clean up. I put down 3 layers of woven fiberglass and let it cure. I chose woven because it would be easier to see through when I cut the holes for everything. Then once cured I trimmed the edges. Added foam seals for everything. 3d printed up some trim rings for the ports. Added some fiberglass reinforced bodyfiller. Then the usually finishing work. I had a logo I designed for the pan but never painted it on. Decided it look clean this way.


360 watt hours is a bigass battery for a 38 inch pintail however I built this deck and wheel combo just for this. So I made it work. This is the test fit.

1 Like

Resin and cloth has been applied. Hope it come out ok.