Maytech Hub Motor, VESC and Truck Review

Well I never tested a single Maytech only duals but with dual maytechs on 12S the Carvon got WAY hotter.

1 Like

Thank you so much for that great review !:slight_smile:

1 Like

I also ordered it and will open it up, as soon as it arrives.

1 Like

Any news from anyone here? :slight_smile:

I’m currently running these wheels (same as stated before by others)

tested with diy VESC4.12 (dual) battery: diy 10S3P 18650,

top speed 32km/h (GPS), must say they run pretty hot after 5~7km

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Electronic-Longboard-Hub-Motor-Kit-Skateboard-Brushless-Motor-Wheel-With-Truck-Electric-Board-Dual-Motor-Drive/32807492704.html (bit more expensive but shipping via UPS (1wk to Netherlands via germany), no Tax :smiley:

2 Likes

do these come in multiple sizes besides 90mm?

what would be the best size to get in terms of speed, lifespan, and overheating especially etc… is bigger always better…

also what is the contact patch of these? do they have different models with different contact patches?

im designing a 3d model in autodesk inventor… of dual hub motor trucks i want to use with these… i want it to have AN EXTREMELY TIGHT HANGER WIDTH (think penny board) and i want to put it on a TINY deck… and fit in a backpack…

the problem is i need the front wheels to line up properly and i need to figure out the hanger width difference on the front and rear trucks because the regular wheels the hanger and axle nut will be somewhat recessed into the wheel while on the maytech wheels the hanger and nut will be flush on both sides… so i need to know the different possible contact patch sizes

sounds like a challanging project/ride

It that depends on the kv rating, e.g. these are rated 70kv, at on 10S = ~3000rpm with a diameter of 90mm it should result in ~43 km/h unloaded, more like ~36km/h (source http://calc.esk8.it, motor pully = wheel pully [1:1 ratio] )

These wheels get quite warm, but i can imagine that larger wheels (more metal) will dissipate it better

My non-electric board originally had 70mm wheels, these trucks dropped right in.

If you are planning battery in a backpack make sure the powerleads are of sufficient awg, imo there can be quite a voltage drop example 2,5m wire at 42v@60A (best case) 8awg: 30W loss 10awg: 51W loss 12awg: 76w loss 14awg: 122W loss 16awg: 204W loss …

2 Likes

i think im gonna go with the 90mm maytech hubs… and ill have to get 90mm “analog” wheels lol…

the maytech website says the 90mm hubs are 55mm wide…

is that the actual contact patch? or is it something else… can somebody that owns these measure just the PU tire width… and also just the width of the little metal nub that juts out and clamps onto the truck hanger…

basically

PU tire width + metal thing width = full width…

or am i wrong and are the two metal faces of the wheel completely flush with the PU tire? i know the front face is but cant tell for the part that hits the truck hanger…

also no i wont be using a battery in a backpack… just everything attatched to the deck… if i get 7-12 miles ill be happy

1 Like

I think these pictures cover your questions. Let me know if I can get anything else for you.

Including the metal thing.

!

From screw to screw.

!

Just the PU Sleeve.

2 Likes

epic…

what is meant by screw to screw… i guess you mean the litttle screws that hold the face plates in place… i guess they seem to add a milimeter or so on each side… or by screw did you mean the axle bolt which i dont really need to know about…

and it seems like the extra sticking out part on the truck hanger side adds about 3 mm

Correct, screw to screw is the little face plate screw on either side. They add a little bit so I figured I would include that.

Those (maytech?) urethanes (pu sleve) look much better than my aliexpress ones (they are really soft and already matt and scarred after the first ride). can you measure the inner diameter? since the wheels look the same, they might fit my wheels

Yes they are maytech.

Inner Diameter:

Inner Width:

1 Like

thanks for sharing, just ordered a set from @e.board_solutions

1 Like

it looks like maytech just came out with a new design… now their stock 90mm hub motors all have a different face plate and are higher kv… 100kv instead of whatever you all have… also the little metal bump out where the square hole is… is now rounded and a curved bump out… apparently also has different guts… maytech people told me this personally… the main question to think about is WHETHER THE OLD ONES ARE BETTER… LOWER KV MEANS MORE TORQUE… SPEED IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME AFTER 15MPH I DONT CARE…

new%20cover%20(3)hub%20motor

1 Like

From the Aliexpress page they say both current and voltages are same (22A/10S) - there is no way they have same or more start torque than the previous 60kV models, or am I missing something totally?

What will be the listing price of those tho?

119$ suggested retail price

bear in mind that a lot of these aliexpress adn alibaba pages have wrong information… i got all this info from talking to a sales rep… im no expert but apparently its got different kV… im not even sure what that means tbh…

these motors are 36v no? and i bought the standard maytech VESC… so would a basic 10s2p lithium ion battery be compatible with my setup? and what is the story with the C rating… will i fry my battery with these motors?

you would fry you battery, or over discharge it, if the esc is taking more amps from your battery than the battery can comfortably put out. 10s2p could be good enough if they are high discharge cells or you set the esc to only take so much from them. the motor isnt the issue.

1 Like

sorry for the necro, I was looking for a hub motor upgrade and started looking into maytech hubs

They go for about ~$105 now with free ship to the usa. if anyones interested :slight_smile: https://www.ebay.com/itm/550W-90mm-Electric-Skateboard-Longboard-Kit-Dual-6364-Hub-Motors-Drive-Parts-US/292892792366?hash=item4431c5562e:g:IRIAAOSw8PJcJX7A