Motor/ESC brakes under hard acceleration

In my case I ended up buying a Focbox and never actually tried disabling low voltage cutoff. If you’re absolutely sure voltage cutoff is disabled (check it twice! if I remember correctly you can set the settings through the computer with a USB cable and that was easier and much more reliable than using the LCD programmer), definitely check your motor pulley. If you don’t loctite your grub screws they can come loose. One time I had to remove my belt and push my board back to the car because the pulley came loose and started slipping. But it just felt like I was losing power, not a sudden cutoff.

And yeah, when I had the cutoff issue it stopped for just a fraction of a second then started again, no restart needed.

Something you could do is put a voltmeter on the board in a place you can see it while riding, then try accelerating hard and see if it drops significantly (the voltage, not the meter :stuck_out_tongue:).

DO NOT DISABLE VOLTAGE CUTOFF - my lipos went puffy after a couple of rides. Get yourself a focbox or any other 120A+ car esc. It seems as if the x-car beast has an manufacture error…

Well if you draw too much or take the voltage too low, of course they’ll go puffy. That’s not the fault of the ESC. Disabling the voltage cutoff is fine as long as you have some other way to monitor the voltage.

Yea I know, I was too desperate for a solution so I messed up. My new board has a focbox and bms, should have gone that route from the beginning…

1 Like

I disabled it, and I have a Voltmeter on the board. But since I got 4 x 5000mAh 3s LiPo’s 20C (forming a 6s 10000mAh battery 40C) the Voltage doenst drop very much,

@TeslaAlex disabling it seemed to have helped in your case, right? Maybe I have to check the setting again, but I was 100% sure I disabled it. @lowGuido stated above the he left it at the default setting, maybe that helps? :slight_smile:

I might have over exaggerated a bit… I tried the board inside my house at relatively low speed, and it did seem as if the problem was solved. But when accelerating faster outside the problem occurred again. Since then I bought a Hobbywing 120A car esc, which works great. That’s what I would recommend you to do, throw that x-car beast in the garbage or make it a $50 paperweight :smile:

I found with that ESC that the voltage cut off when in the “disabled” state didnt work at all. like cut off any time I tried to accelerate. So I left it at the default cut off and never had a problem.

2 Likes

@lowGuido guess I will try that tomorrow, busy at work at the moment :slight_smile: will give you updates ^^

thank you guys!