Motor overheating

Not sure… as the motor on the outside has a lot of scratches from the floor… Also sending it back to Maytech will not help me. I will go for a 6384 APS Motor or something… man am I pissed…

I think your motor is not overheating at all, on VESC tool you have the beta factor of the temperature sensor, probably the default value is way off, so the temperature measured is higher than the normal

As a rule of thumb you can hold the motor with your hand, I would only consider overheating if you can’t keep your hand indefinitely on it

1 Like

I thought of this too - but then again why do other people with the same motor don’t have the same problem ? I could imagine that the beta value should be the same for the same motor.

Also a small update - I changed back to metal mount but didn’t really do much… Maybe it’s a bit cooler then before but still overheating.

The motor does really get hot… but I can still touch it (but not comfortably).

1 Like

Seems that you had a fault on the vesc. Guess you have a maytech vesc. Many report that they don’t work very well at FOC. For the motor heat get a infrared thermometer and check with that. And the temperature sensor to jump around too much to my experience. You should check in the realtime data if it is a stable signal. If it jitters then it is dangerous because it would result in a jitter power output once you reached the temp cutoff start. In this case it would be better to remove the motor temp wire or increase the cutoffs so that they are not reached.

1 Like

Thank you… It is a maytech VESC but i modified it with the C18 Capacitor mod and had no real issues… One thing is strange… when it threw me off it felt like the board was stopping… Maybe I just had that impression as I was accelerating a little bit… but I flew straight forward on a flat street… that never happened to me… Couldnt really realize what hit me…

Someone said carbon fiber mount and motor heat…

Not saying this is it. But CF is conductive. Make sure your motor screws are not touching the windings. Will make a motor heat up in no time as your shorting the motor… Will also make it feel like it’s always braking.

1 Like

I already switched to a metal mount now… But its not a solid one… Its a 2 part mount - the steel part on the motor is conducting the heat quite well… while the aluminium part that is on the truck is not really getting that hot… Anyways - as long as I don’t burn my Hand when touching the motor it should be OK ? I don’t trust the sensor…

Yea that’s fine. But either way you need to ensure that the motor screws holding the motor to the mount are not so long that they are touching the copper windings inside the housing…

Here is mine…just peek inside the base and check all 4 screws

3 Likes

motor will starts burn120c, and cooked at 140c. the safe temp is up to 100c, 75 shouldn’t be the problem really. I think ur vesc has issue

1 Like

Mine is closed actually. But the screws are not very long

1 Like

I am not sure… The VESC is new… but it’s possible that either the VESC or my Motor Sensor has issues.

However it will take some time until I recover enough to try to go fast again. My ribs hurt :confused:

1 Like

One more Question… How likely is it that the motor blocked ? Because I really felt like I was flying off the board… but I am not sure what exactly happened. Would it be safer to go back to BLDC instead of FOC since i have a Maytech VESC ?

I am not looking forward on crashing like that again :confused:

If you run my firmware mod and had a immediate power cut then a fault is most likely. If you run the original firmware then it also can be a signal loss to the remote.

@Ackmaniac I run your firmware. A power cut due to overtemperature I had many times before… but this time it felt so instant and so rough… almost like the motor braked (but I am not 100% sure). So it’s safer to go back to BLDC instead of FOC or does it make no difference ?

The maytech vesc is the same as the old 4.12 Vesc. Or even 4.10. They also let me crash at 45 km/h when one motor had a fault. The reliability of FOC seems to be different for every motor. Get a Focbox and FOC should run fine or stick to bldc. And if you run firmware 3.100 then you should upgrade to 3.101 because a bug was fixed that let the brakes shut off when the temperature cutoff start was reached. But the didn’t lead to cutouts during acceleration.

@Ackmaniac So you also had a crash with FOC or was this just related to the maytech vesc ?

Thanks

Had a crash at FOC with the old standard 4.12 Vesc because of a DRV error. On the newer hardware versions like Focbox, Vesc6 and so on it works fine.

@Ackmaniac Jesus i hope you didn’t got hurt.

So a FOCBOX would be the best option ? I can also run your firmware on a FOCBOX ?

It’s a good and reliable option. “best” depends on everybody’s taste. And the firmware works with it of course.

meytech seems to use inferior drv cheap. in few test I did they run hotter(drv cheap) in same setting of focbox.

mine stoped working when I put to much stress on my motor, and the amp setting. still it was below 90amp. motor temp was about 80c in ambian temp of 10c. which is not present in focbox.

whatever the cause it acted same as yours, sudden braking.