Motor wires won't stick to solder

Hi guys,

I made a bad mistake. I cut wires of my motor to shorten them. Because they were too long.

Now, these wires won’t hold solder onto the VESC wires. They are thick red wires.

I tried holding them against lighter flame to remove if they have any insulator cover. But no luck.

What should I do?

can you take a picture of the wires and the connection point? thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

you will need to scrape the enamel off each strand of the wire. use a knife or sand paper. I have even had success dipping the ends in a very light solvent like acetone.

1 Like

Sounds like the enamel needs to be removed. There are some tutorials on this forum. What I remember is aspirin or solder iron heat to remove it. A lighter will not be enough.

:smiley: @lowGuido was faster. Yeah scraping it off should also work.

1 Like

Get your iron super hot with a blob of solder on the tip. Hold it for a few seconds and you should see the enamel melt. You need to clean it up and reapply sloder

2 Likes

Get some liquid flux and dip the tip of the wire. It should work.

1 Like

You need more heat over 500C should do the job.

1 Like

Thank you all! I tried the molten aspirin method mentioned in another post. It was quite messy, had to also scrape some wires with knife manually.

But it worked.

2 Likes

A solder iron that hot will ruin tips fast!

I know, he was just going to do a few wires so it should be fine. Buy some new tips :wink: