My Electric Mountainboard Build

Thanks for the info on the board i couldn’t find any reviews on there boards. It looks like there boards dont come as advertised. Im going to get an EMTB , i guess ill have to build one the way i want it.

Yeah, they need to make some adjustments to their website to accurately depict what they are selling. They have made some changes to the board and seems like it is for the better from what the main contact has been telling me, but there is still the issue of quality control that I have an issue with. If I was going to build one again, I’d get the parts from trampa directly and then get with barajabali and ollinboards for electronics.

Nice man, I’m looking into doing a similar build to yours over the summer. How do the belts hold up? I know they are quieter than the chain but are they durable?

Thanks man! So far they are holding up excellent and yes very quiet. I regularly take 5-6 mile rides on and off-road and belts look fine. Not once have they slipped or given me problems plus they are cheap to replace when needed.

I just started looking into E Mountain Boards and your video and this thread had the most info on what I would need. Thank you so much!

Cool. Hit me up if you have any questions.

First thing I will purchase is a board. Which MBS board is good?

2nd: trucks. I was thinking caliber II 10"? Or these https://www.amazon.com/MBS-Matrix-Truck-System-Black-Blue/dp/B0056J73AK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494422347&sr=8-3&keywords=MBS+Matrix+Truck ?

3rd: Motor Brackets. Not sure where to get one.

4th: I’m gonna get the turnigy SK3 192kv motors.

5th: I’d like to go Chain drive, So this is where I will need the most help in finding the right ones; along with the right sprockets for it.

Ive got the MBS Comp 95. Only board I’ve ridden happy with it so not sure about other boards.

As for trucks you definitely need to make sure they are compatible with motor mounts. My MBS trucks had a “bump” (same as the one in you link) where the brake goes which prevented me from using the motor mounts I chose. I had to get Trampa trucks which fit perfectly.

Do a search for the motor mounts. I paid around $100. Hobby King started selling some very inexpensive electric skateboard parts so check them first. I can’t vouch on quality though so maybe pose the question on this forum. Either way here’s a link: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/motor-mount-5.html?countrycode=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIov6Yzsev1wIVFpN-Ch34twdbEAQYASABEgLNA_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Your motor idea is good

I wouldn’t use chain drive. I’d go with belt drive. Easy to get, belts are cheap to replace, quieter, lighter and easy to adjust. Just my opinion.

@Idea has some rather sexy new belt drive pulleys and mounts made for the trucks that come with the Birds comp 95

These trucks IMO are a lot better than the MBS spring trucks and as said above the knobbly break bit on the spring trucks is kinda in the way for a chunky well made mount.

The @Idea mount.

2 Likes

I’m really liking this board: https://www.mbs.com/boards/91115-mbs-atom-90-mountainboard and its a decent price for a 1st board.

This truck looks good. Is 16" a good width? http://www.trampaboards.com/infinity-trucks--solid-hanger-body-with-12mm-solid-axles--mega-strong-p-11151.html it comes with an option for a bolt kit, but not sure which size I need. M5x20mm, m5x25mm, and m5x30mm. The board I linked doesn’t show which one I would need.

Is this good? I think you have linked this on this thread. https://www.scramboards.com/conversion-kits/kit-4-mechanical-drive-train-brackets-parts-kit.html

The MBS 90 board should be fine. All the links to parts you listed will work well together. Yes that is the mechanical drive kit from Scramboards that I used. It works really well. You just have to make sure you really tourque down the bolts that hold the motor mount to the truck axel or it will slip. When you get to that point and you find the motor mounts are slipping message me back and I will give you more guidance. Hard to explain at this point but you will see when you’re assembling everything.

Not sure about which bolt kit you will need. I would message the company and ask what they recommend. Also, the kit from Scramboards has different size inside diameter motor cogs (the small gear that attaches to the motor shaft.) Be sure to measure the diameter of the motor shaft (192KV) and give it to Scramboards when you order the kit.

Thank you! Been very helpful! I will keep ya updated on my progress.

1 Like

Hey @tonys i started to make my own emtb because of your video! I Just started building mine 2 days ago. Need 2 more days to build it i suppose. I’m also trying to document my build with a video. Maybe that’s why my build is going slowly… How is your board holding up after 1 year?

Cool! Thanks Stefanj! Im very happy about how my board is holding up. When my build was about a month old I had a problem with one of the VESC. I believe it was faulty. I replaced it from a different distributor and has been perfect ever since. Batteries are still holding a good charge and still using the original drive belts. Good luck on your build. Send me a link to your video when you put it up.

Hi @tonys, I currently have a Fiik Street surfer board and have been looking into upgrading to a mountainboard and building my own. I came across your video about a week ago and have watched it many times. Just found this thread now. Thank you so much for providing this info. I’m also considering getting my parts through scram boards,but I’m going to spend a little more time searching around. Seems like there is a lot of variety at the moment in regards to parts and providers and I’m getting a little lost in it all. I’ll be sure to keep watching this thread, and many others on this forum and hopefully, one day, I can share my build here as well.

2 Likes

Hey Ant, Cool! Glad I could help. Yes, there are numerous resources available. If you haven’t already done so, check https://hobbyking.com for parts also.

Thanks Tony, I checked them out yesterday. Didn’t seem to have much of a range. I’m still working a few things out and may check them out again a little later.