I would like to share my experience with the FVT 120A Sleeping Lion twin ESC, and give some troubleshooting tips for anyone who considers this ESC. I got this ESC from alieexpress, however I saw there is also a version from APS. I chose to go with it since I was looking for a cheap and hopefully simple dual drive solution. I chose the 12s version, however I only used it with an 8s lipo battery. My setup was:2x6355 [email protected], 15Tx36T, 12mm belts.
When I first hooked up everything , it seemed fine when riding. However I quickly noticed an array of problems:
- Problem 1 - The ESCs were not synced up. One of the motors would start to spin earlier and have more throttle throughout. Individually calibrating the ESCs using the short wires would not solve this.
- Problem 2 - The same ESC taht would start up late would stutter randomly when pushing the throttle at any speed. Those microstutters were really annoying and probably unsafe for unexperienced riders at high speed.
- Problem 3 - I could not get the PC software to work properly with the ESC using the USB-link. I thought I was doing everything right, but I missed a tiny detail I guess…
Now after many emails and chats with the FVT support and my aliexpress seller, I think I finally have fixes for all these problems. I’d also like to add that while experimenting I tried different receivers, motors etc, so I am pretty sure these components were not the problem.
- Solution to problem 1 When having this problem I was hooking up the long signal wire to the receiver. For some reason, this seemed to be the problem. When calibrating each of the ESCs individually using the short wires, they worked fine and had the same throttle response. So my solution was to make a Y cable for the signal wire and feed the signal to the ESCs using the short wires.
- Solution to problem 2 After solving problem 3, the fix to this was to reset firmware back to 170818. The ESCs were shipped with 171103, which according to FVT support was the latest version. Weird
- Solution to problem 3 While connecting the USB-link to the PC using the short wires, I always had the long signal wire hooked up to the receiver. Apparently that is not ok!
Another thing: FVT support confirmed that it is ok to use the ESC with only 1 motor attached. I was considering this before I found the fixes to my problems
Now with everything solved, I finally have the ESC I expected to get. The throttle is similar to a car esc like HK X-Car Beast and the acceleration is immediate and a ton of fun. The brakes are pretty quiet and strong but take getting used to. At default settings, it builds up progressively for like 80% of the way , but if you push beyond that they get super strong and drag brake (I think), even if you have it turned off in settings.
In retrospect, I think it’s probably not worth it to get for about 150€ considering that you can get two HK VESCs for that price. However if you really like the feeling of a car esc, and want to pull a lot of amps and have a lower voltage battery setup I think it can be worthwhile to get this ESC. Let’s see how long it lasts for me, for now it only has around 150km on it But I plan to ride it a lot more and ride it hard, my 12s single 6374 focbox setup feels tame compared to this one^^
Keep on riding!