My no BMS layout - Please help

perfect thanks

1 Like

Only thing I noticed is that you have you balance leads backwards. B0 starts on the negative main wire, B10 is on the positive main wire.

Well spotted. I actually had them the right way round the first time then! I swapped all the numbers just before posting! doh!

1 Like

Good job on joining the no BMS club, it serves no purpose in my build either. On thing though see on mine I Balance charge every time but you plan on only charging just the mains. Building like that is why people use a BMS. With no bms you should balance charge every time or all least every couple of times. Because keeping all those cells in the same voltage is quite important.

No offense, but you haven’t joined the “no BMS club” if you are balance charging outside of the board.

The “no BMS club” is not balance charging and not using a BMS. Using a balance charger outside the board is much more annoying than just plugging in a laptop style charge so I’d say that is a downgrade.

Yes I’m not planning on balance charging at all. @Randyc1and @whitepony have seen so little drift in their packs that it has given me the confidence and convenience of going balance free.

Completed the the battery and starting to charge it using a power supply with 42v cut off bought in this GB - https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/10s-and-12s-adjustable-charger-from-china-groupbuy-worldwide/17287/201

I wanted to check that it was indeed charging so after 20mins I unplugged and checked the voltage. All looked good with a couple of v increase.

I am just wondering if I now have a different problem as I check voltages at the balance lead and I got 8 at 3.7v and 2 at 3.8v

Is 0.1v acceptable? What could have caused this? I was all balanced when they arrived and built up. I didn’t check the individual cell voltage before I started charging. The built battery had been sat for some time. I wonder if the 2 lower ones are the parallel groups at the end where the battery was sat against the cold wall?