My take on an eskate remote controller

Nope probably not. Just Google for VESC and Nrf, I’m sure you’ll find something

1 Like

Will make the next remote with this module cuz it sounds good :slight_smile: Now I need to think how to hide the antenna :wink:

1 Like

Best way is to decase a WiFi antenna, they are pretty slim after that.

1 Like

Oooh, this is interesting:

Thoughts? Seems like a nice middle ground; still no mechanical parts, but a more familiar interface. They do a 25mm one which seems about right.

In terms of comfort on long rides, I don’t know what would be better. FSR means no need to move thumb to change speeds which is good, however pressing down for a long time might be uncomfortable.

1 Like

I like what you got

1 Like

I like this idea very much, let me see what i can do with that sensor.

1 Like

I knew I would spark more innovations from this :slight_smile: This is very good, I thought of it before but could not find anything like that. I imagine it will be weirder to use maybe, but if you place it correctly than it could be great.

For example I thought of the boosted remote with this strip on the top instead of the roller this could work well as long as the active region on the strip is not too long.

2 Likes

Last exam is on the 25th, I gotta concentrate and not start CAD mockups! :smiley:

1 Like

@ofekp Im wondering, is it possible the sensors could be used as multi function buttons? for example hold both for 4 seconds to power on or off/sleep mode?

Ps i really like the robust look of this keep it going bro… bookmarked :slight_smile:

Happy you like this :smile: The answer is YES! In the code I am already planning on pressing both sensors for a few seconds to turn on the lights (which I haven’t yet started to build, so no point in doing it now :laughing:) I would not, however use it for too many options, this gets dangerous the more you add to it because if you have a bug in your code and you accidentally put your fingers the wrong place during a ride you can get, well I don’t need to tell you what you can get…

In any case, as long as you don’t overload this too much this is possible.

Note, though, that if you are connected to the VESC directly, which I recommend you will, you will have to place your code that flicks the lights on inside your VESC, I do not yet know how to achieve that. But I know for fact this could be done. This is how I know that:

If someone does know how, please share.

2 Likes

Very cool! I have my own take on the traditional potentiometer-based remote (which I will share soon), but hadn’t thought of using one of these. Have ordered a couple of AliExpress (hope you don’t mind inspiring me to try).

1 Like

This is super dope! I’m working on my own controller design right now too, seeing innovation in eboards is so exciting!

1 Like

The whole point is to get you inspired. Please do. Show us what you got!

1 Like

I agree! I have been using this for a long time now and I am super glad to share this idea and inspire others to try :smile:

Was thinking about these FSR sensors when I was walking to work this morning (wet roads = no board :frowning: ): the sensor wouldn’t have to mount to a flat surface would they? I’m just thinking about a 2D surface, not 3D. Not necessarily a radical curve either.

Most of those come with sticker on the back so you can stick them on a flat surface. If you do not put them on a flat surface you will have nothing to press them against (Newton’s third law blah blah blah) which won’t do you much good. You need to find a way to mount them on a surface and then cover them with another, much like I did. If you do have access to a 3D printer you’re in luck, I used aluminum which was easy enough to process. But yes, the ones I use can, and, in fact, should be pressed against a flat 2D surface.

I was imagining one of those nano-remote type arrangements with the hole that you stick your finger in, and the FSR would stick to the inside of the hole.

If the buttons on the top of the remote were a bit ‘awkward’ then mounting it into the hole might be a bit more comfortable. image

I appreciate that the footprint of the FSR might be significantly bigger than the depth of the hole (in the nano-remote at least). If I were to 3D printer something then you could make the hole deeper.

Wish I could help you out 3D printer-wise. I’m in New Zealand and I imagine I’m a very long way away from you (freight-wise).

1 Like

There are many different kinds of FSR sensors with smaller diameter that could fit your design, e.g.

Also, check out the other suggestion made by @chocol4te in this thread for a different kind of Robbon Sensor

This may fit on top and will fit the remote profile well IMO. But mods will need to be made to make it fit nicely.

Thanks for trying to help with 3D printing, it is just two planes and like 24 hours of flight :wink: LOL I will get myself one of these eventually and will make this remote even greater!

2 Likes

I would definitely be interested in purchasing a couple of these if you get all the kinks worked out. I would love being able to have my speed right on my remote! I would need a speedometer on the side that would show speeds up to 40mph though.

1 Like

you’ll need to elaborate on “kinks” The remote can show any speed up to 99Km/h, but boy, 40mph… please wear a helmet and gloves at least.

1 Like