My take on an eskate remote controller

I tried UDP, TCP and had latency issues (maybe I wasn’t doing it right). Tried websockets last weekend but my arduino IDE setup was causing issues. Using these technologies are really only so I can get rid of the RF24 chip/board in my remote.

ESPNow is another thing I tried (I think it’s a websocket)… and BLE, but the BLE/BT stack wasn’t mature with ESP32 at the time (and probably still not there).

1 Like

Why do you want to remove the NRF24? Is it causing you issues? You plan to have a WiFi based communication?

Umm… I had some teething problems with nRF24 initially (hardware, not software) and I like the idea of having one less board in my remote (space, complexity). Seems to me that it is the best option (aside from the space needed).

nb: wifi seems to have too much latency in my short investigations.

1 Like

I think WiFi is not a common thing in real time remote controlers for a reason. I would stick with BT or RF. And I completely agree, having as less HW as possible is generally the best thing you can to your setup. I have said that many times throughout this post and it can’t be said enough times. Having only one arduino in my remote while keeping the board “stupid” by connecting a BT module directly to the VESC made my setup stable.

1 Like

BT straight to the board. Hmmm… interesting (I haven’t read all the posts sorry).

I do have the option of doing some cool stuff on the board if I have an ESP32 between the remote and the VESC (lights, status indicators, tilt-sensors) but I might have to consider the advantages.

I’m guessing signal strength could be more critical with BT over RF.

Anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, exams finished and I’ve been able to start in earnest.

Here’s where I am at:

CC1101 radios are working - they use a lower, less cluttered frequency (lots of stuff runs on 2.4GHz meaning NRF-based remotes will be more susceptible to interference) that should result in far fewer drop outs and a more reliable remote. The SoftPot is also working as shown in the last gif (top line on display is throttle input percentage)

4 Likes

Ideas can change the world :slight_smile: I am glad to have a part in this, this looks awesome indeed. You have 3D printer right? Would love to compare the ride feel between this and the two FSRs I use :slight_smile: I see you use two Nanos, I hope to have this solved by connecting just one Nano in the remote and a NRF (SPI) connected directly to the VESC. BTW if you’re using VESC6.0 it should be supported out of the box.

1 Like

Niiiiiiiice. This looks incredible!

1 Like