New APS Motor broken while vesc setup

They resell the same motors? Im confused :sweat_smile:

@telnoi. Where did you get that info? Thought that aps made their own but it wouldnā€™t surprise me @Wraith it was a 50 for a friends evolve and one of my 6374 that had the same issue but seriously go over the whole motor and check the screws. Very annoying when you finish up and realise something is loosy goosy.

1 Like

The point I was trying to make is not the individual quality of an item but the less than stringent quality assurance that the manufacturers and indeed the resellers employ. Itā€™s all too easy to ship out from China and rely on the factory to test the product but when you put your name on it then it becomes your responsibility and your reputation on the line. Look at the issues enertion have had with multiple factories so much so that they had to spend two weeks shaking it up on site. And good for them but it does seem to be an issue that occurs fairly regularly especially with motors. I personally havenā€™t had anything from enertion turn up defective but two separate motor companies (one budget and one not so much) have had problems.

As far as we know, Maytech is also just a reseller. There are a few different bell designs etc. but most of it comes down to the same supplier and thus these motors will be using similar epoxy or glue. If you purchase a bigger amount of motors, you can apply your own logo/custom materials etc.

2 Likes

Like I said doesnā€™t surprise me at all. I would love to know to just what extent this goes though.

@Andy87 @Skunk @Wraith

so after all that conversation about motors failing I tried to ride my street set up and one of the motors was not spinning. Opened it up and the vesc was flashing red 3 times in succession over and over. unplugged the phase wires and all good. Stripped down the motor and found this. IMG_0017 then I looked at the stator and found this IMG_0018 presumably all caused by this IMG_0016 This is a motor not 3 months old that gets used hardly at all as its on my silly board that scares me a bit F72786FA-71C7-4198-814C-11719BCB1BFC Ironic hey?

3 Likes

So bearings broke apart and were moving about the can causing damage to the magnets? Is that grease on the stators from the bearings?

Thats concerning :disappointed_relieved:

Iā€™m assuming the bearing failed and chucked a lot of small balls and stuff round the motor and broke the pcb for the hall sensors. That greasy looking stuff is glue that holds the sensor pcb down. It chucked a hall sensor error at me a couple of weeks ago so I did what any lazy bastard would do, disconnected the sensor wires, reprogrammed and carried on regardless. Bearings that have had no weather to put up with and hardly any use should not disintegrate like this.

1 Like

so frustrating too because Iā€™ve been singing these motors praises because they are smooth and powerful and good value. Hopefully its a one off. Damaged on manufacture during assembly and once again it finds its way to me. The fuck did I piss off in a previous life? @Wraith you in aus?

Well my other not even month old APS bearings are fucked I can push bell to the sidesā€¦ Donā€™t even know which motors to buy so that I could ride several thousands miles without worryā€¦

2 Likes

nah not in aus. Now Iā€™m more worried about something similar happening to the Maytech ones I picked up recently. Have yet to hook them up to anything but I do hope theyā€™re fine and the epoxy/glue on the magnets isnt going to be an issue in addition to these bearings.

They do go about describing how they use quality bearings in them but I take that with a grain of salt now after hearing more QA issues.

I feel like I should buy motor in parts and just assemble myselfā€¦ Good bearings >10Ā£, loctite magnet glue high temperature and etc stuffā€¦

I thought i did enough reading on quality motors and felt that APS and Maytech were generally more reliable than others based off what Iā€™ve read on the forums but now Iā€™m not even sure anymore

I am in exactly the same place my friend. I only bought these because a maytech threw a magnet and while waiting for that resolution needed some motors. HK deliver quick here(the only one) and have loved them up till now. Whats the answer? Is there a motor out there that will last?

My previous APS hold on so much abuse and etc and also 3k milesā€¦

1 Like

@Kug3lis the nail on the head my friend without a doubt!! Things are built well then some bean counter says we can save some money here by using this company and then we can make more money and Iā€™m sure it will be fine etc etc etc. Out of everything that we use Iā€™m sure that motors are the biggest let down atm.

If there the same kit as this just with stator winded and Bell in parts would be awesomeā€¦

2 Likes

Wow! Thatā€™s chatostrophic failiure!

Iā€™m very curious now. Was there only one bearing on the rear of the bell? If so thatā€™s just BAD design. Those tiny shallow groove ball bearings are not made to take any abuse. My 5070 APS motors have two of those bearings stacked up in the rear. I replaced the outermost ones with ceramic sealed RC gearbox bearings. Should last forever.

Thereā€™s a few reasons it could have failed so horribly. If there was any kind of load pushing the bell into the motor (pulling the pulley outward, that direction,) then theyā€™ll be MUCH more likely to fail. These kinds of tiny bearings arenā€™t made to take radial loads like that. A well designed bearing would have a needle roller thrust bearing stacked on top to take side loads.

But alas, we only have cheap Chinese motors.

@Hummie hubs are made quality. Why canā€™t we have well designed belt driving motors? Thereā€™s a market for motors that can actually take abuse.

Yeah two bearings stacked but the outer one blew its load so to speak. No radial pressure at all. The other one is set up identical and fine. Must just have been pressed in badly at the factory that maybe dented the cover or something. Blows my mind how a piece got through and broke the pcb though. How does that happen? It was riding fine when I replaced the battery and never got a chance to use it with the new config. I noticed it was stiffer than the the other to spin and the can was moving slightly. All I did was set the new battery parameters and the vesc went all flashy red on me. The rest is history. Would be nice to have a good solid motor manufacturer thats for sure.

I betcha that the bearing was locked up. Axle was spinning inside the inner race. Once spun up using the VESC it probably had some kind of side load due to magnetic force between the stator and can, forcing the bearing to spin.

Hence why it shit the bed.