My Velcro Board was built with a particular use kite in mind. However, once the build was finished enough to be rideable, I just kept riding it since that itself is a lot of fun and I sort of forgot about its original purpose. Until today. We had a lovely autumn day and it was also my last day off before starting a new job, so I thought it would be the perfect finishing of the season to put the board into test.
I packed up all my gear and set off for my favorite local kiting spot. That’s me with some extra 15 kg of weight. I guess you don’t meet many e-skate riders with a kiting harness on street. Wearing it is the easiest way of carrying.
Arrived at the spot. My Dave thinks I won’t have enough juice to return. o-o
But I’ll worry about that later. Now it’s time to do the board conversion.
12:57. Time to do some kiting!
Now, compared to standard landkiting, there many advantages in the e-landkiting. For example, the battery pack is a perfect weight for securing the kite.
Up in the air.
The weather was nice and the wind was very decent. I was going to have a great kiting session, which lasted for whole… 10 seconds.
I fell off my board right after the first start. I thought I must have become really rusty or maybe e-skating altered my landkiting skills. But no, there was another reason.
Another great advantage of e-landkiting is that if you get a flat tire, you have a spare… as long as you’re going motorized… and the flat tire is on your front truck. Unfortunately, the same trick doesn’t quite work when going unmotorized.
At any rate, I think I managed to cover some 10 meters on my convertible eMTB with a kite and that must count as e-landkiting! Since I’m not aware of any other attempts of the kind, please let today–31st October 2018 AD–be recorded as the day e-landkiting was invented!
I would like to thank to this great community for helping to make this happen. I would have never done it without you. I want to specifically thank to @rich, @Der6FingerJo, and @AndyBigD for the loads of support!
(Packed up and ready to come back.)
Now, there are still a few things to fix (apart from checking the spare truck tires before setting off). The range, for example. It turns out that with the extra motor that I recently added and with the extra gear weight, the range isn’t quite as good as back on the day I tested that I could make it to the spot and back.
My Dave became extremely unhappy after my 12s LIPO battery voltage dropped below 41V, which was still with 2 km away from home.
That clearly indicated it’s time to stop riding and start walking.
Also, as you can see from the pictures, I took Dave for the ride without any case. That was partially due to my laziness and partially due to the lack of time. I had to take it out of the case few days back to do some developments and it’s not exactly easy to put it back. On the other hand, I could test the display readability on direct sunlight without a protective foil and it’s much better!
It turned out that riding this way wasn’t the greatest idea since I lost the display twice and rode over it once. It was still good for science. The display survived! Great deal for $5.