New DIY Build- First time

Looking to build my first electric skateboard. I live in San Francisco and I ride my motorcycle to and from work around 5 miles each day. I commute from Lombard street down to around the AT&T Park area. Considering that I don’t need to ride my motorcycle, I think it’s time for an electric skateboard to do my commute on.

This would be my first build and after researching, I think it’s time to ask for a bit of help on where to start. I might know how to solder and the stuff but figuring out exact electrical specifics it can get daunting to me.

I’d like to budget around $1000 for everything but always willing to spend more if needed (Definitely not more than 1400). For a deck, I really like the look of the raptor 2 deck where its a cruiser style deck with a tail which is what I would like. With my commute, I only need to get over Russian Hill but after that, not much terrain and I could even bypass this by going through the San Fransico Bay trail. Range, I only need enough to get to and from work which is 10 miles in total (5 there and 5 back). I wouldn’t ride anything faster than 20-25mph. I’m about 6’3 and 250lbs so i’m for sure needing a no flex board and a dual motor setup for both me and the terrain around here. The weight of the board all I have to go is up one floor and then just leave it there for the day so carrying it around isn’t a problem for me.

I have access to tools with everything from a full wood/metal shop along with 3D printers and a CNC machine through my university. I’m also good with programs like CAD & Rhino should the situation come up.

I’ve read through quite a bit of guides both on here and on other websites and i’ve started to gather information.

For the items, i’m not set on where i’m buying the items but more just want to finalize what exactly I want to get so if anyone has any recommendations on vendors they’ve had a good experience with definitely drop the names.

Battery Pack- either a 10s or 12s if needed

ESC- TorqueBoards OptoESC

Motors- dual setup definitely. Thinking a 190kv if I go with a 10s battery or a 170kv with a 12s battery.

Wheels- 90mm

Deck- 38" (thinking maybe a jet deck)

Other things such as pulleys and how to gear them are things i’m still currently researching so I’m just wanting to make sure i’m on the right track.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Maybe a Vesc if your budget will allow for it and if your in San Francisco I’m pretty sure it’s hilly so a 63-74 motor would be best or dual drive. Also 10s should be be plenty. What sort of speed are you looking for?

I’d suggest dual 6374s and vescs on torqueboard wide trucks. Will run you at about $500.

DIY motor mounts: fairly easy to design and make if you have access to cad and a CNC mill.

Any wheels, can range from $25 83mm blanks to $160 abec 11 107mm

3d printed wheel pulley, there are designs readily available for a ton of different setups.

Motor pulley and belt from tb maybe another $50

Then depending on how much money you want to spend, either go with Lipos and anti spark xt90s for a cheap setup $250ish or a battery pack from barajabali for around $400-500. You can DIY the battery to get the same quality as barajabali’s for under $300 but I do not recommend this on your first build.

As far as enclosures go I think Psychotiller is the only option to buy, maybe I’m wrong. His enclosures go at about $60. Or you can also DIY it, vacuum form plastic or lay up fiberglass

I’m definitely going for a dual setup and thinking maybe 20-25. Around that range. I’d doubt I’d try and go faster than 30 even if I was able to.

You should easily get that with a 10s setup and 190kv

Since i’ll be in a hilly area I figure the more torque the better.

I have dual 6355 190kv on 10s geared for about 30mph, and they handle hills like a champ. With it geared a little lower, you should have no problems.

I’m a proponent of lithium ion over lipo batteries, but to each their own. A BMS will add some cost and take up space in the board, but it’s a good safety and convenience boost, since you don’t have to manually balance the pack. Just plug in the charger and go.

If you can fit it in the budget, a vesc is a huge upgrade from a regular esc in terms of smoothness, customizability and safety features.