NEW IMPROVED: FOCBOX | Official Thread

Up and running. Tried FOC, but the brakes do not appear to be progressive. Back on BLDC and had a good 9 km run. Thanks for your help.

Quick FOCbox question. According to the spec page on enertions website:

5V 1A Output for external devices

soo… without going into the whole project, is that 1A actually available for me to use with external devices, or is some of that 5v power actually used internally, on the 5v bus, and its just a 1a converter?

The reason I ask is I am modding a scooter, and the OEM LED lights are 5v and when all are maxxed out, its .92 amps. This is worse case, brake light and running light on all at once. unlikely to happen, but I dont want to kill the 5v bus, or have it suddenly not work and lose primary braking. Along with the LEDs, I also run an arduino, and 2 hall effect throttles. The arduino takes the two throttles (one gas, one brake) and outputs a servo signal for the FOCBOX.

So… is this too much for the 1A bus, or is the 1A rating accurate? because If it is, I will be using .95a of it…

whats the most “motor amps” the focbox will do? Does it have an override limit built in despite what you program it to do similar to vescs?

I use 120A max motor amp (as a setting), but only 40A battery amp. That gives a good start, but as the motor speeds up, the max motor current is reduced due to the max battery current.

I have a FocBox with a 2mm thermal pad (older ones seem to have 1 mm pads). For my application (electric converted moped) I added a heatsink to the FocBox. The heatsink got hardly warm but the motorcurrent was reduced due to the fets getting hot. I replaced the original thermal pad with a 8W/mK thermal pad. Now the fets are cooled much better and the motorcurrent is not reduced anymore.

So if you want to use somewhat higher continuous motorcurrents, a heatsink seems to be effective if the thermal pad is replaced by better heat conducting material.

5 Likes

Do you have a link to the 8W/mK thermal pad?

2 Likes

I used “T-Grizzly Minus Pad 8 Thermal Pad”. https://www.highflow.nl/watercooling/koelpasta-pads-cleaners/t-grizzly-minus-pad-8-thermalpad.html?sl=en

2 Likes

Anyone have issues with their FocBox returning to default settings on a ride?

I just came across this FOCBOX and wanted to know how it compares to the Enertion FOCBOX?

http://store-en.tmotor.com/mobile/category.php?id=59

I imagine the Alpha 80A HV would be the one closest to compare.

Here is a list of all there ESC’s, also curious if any of these are worth considering.

http://store-en.tmotor.com/mobile/category.php?id=5

Look like thos esc are build to be use with specific motors.

1 Like

Oh right on, that makes sense, thank you!

But seems they could match up. Look nice. Sine wave n not expensive.

Yeah seems to obey the same erpm limit as the vesc, likely drv driven That 180A HV would make an insane directdrive/hub board though :heart_eyes: would go well with pnuematic hubs 6-8"

1 Like

The image inside is backwards :smiley:

1 Like

Would it go well with Carvon’s?

It would max out the carvons

So that’s a yes?

1 Like

It would max out the carvons without itself being maxed out Though I haven’t looked at how/if they work in dual configurations beyond ppm split

So between this, a FOCBOX, and the ESCape (VESC 6), which would be best for Carvon’s?

Escape, then focbox, this is an unknown quantity, I have no idea how well it actually works for esk8…

Yeah… Well I’m happy getting the ESCape already… Just gotta get the rest of the board haha. Def going with a Photon remote, that is so sweet!

1 Like