News to the Name VESC

I do hope Enertion do not stop selling their VESC-X because of the Trampa-In-vesc-tigation-Force. I think it’s the best quality per price of all the ex-VESCs out there

2 Likes

Well that’s ironic. Here’s the fact in a short, sharp sentence, you’ve fucked the entire community over. Over what, 2-3 years now? Benjamin has been easily the most generous person to the community, the Chinese manufacturers don’t give jack shit to him, but I sure hope that people like @onloop @torqueboards @okp @oriol360 and @esk8 donated something to him.

I don’t know a lot about trademarks, but surely there is another way to release it open source to everyone to sell under the name VESC, and guaranteeing some cash flow to Vedder

I wonder what percentage of cash flow came from the VESC, if any seller would be willing to share that information that would be interesting.

So can I just confirm that it can be sold, but not under the name that this community BUILT TOGETHER?

Honestly, sorry if this comes across as really rude, but I believe in it and it’s MY opinion.

6 Likes

I think there might be a small misunderstanding here. Ben just wants everyone who releases a custom design to market it with a different name while also giving credit for the source in the description of the product. The original v4.12 is still and will always be a VESC.

I think it is important that Vedder protect what designs bare his moniker. He just wants everyone who brings new designs based on the original to “run their own race”.

All of this was told to me by Vedder himself.

12 Likes

That is not what esk8.de has told us

Then why everyone in europe are closing shop for repair … http://www.lp-electronic.com/vesc-repair-service/ esk8.de wasn’t the first and won’t be the last…

Edit : ALSO… Street Carve / Kaly 6374 190Kv / MBS 110 / Ollin VESC/ 12S4P - #110 by PhatJay - ESK8 Builds - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board Look like they are after DIY…

so Benjamin decides what esk8.de is allowed to do, maybe he is fine with the name “Vesk8”, you should ask him

We asked LP Electronics The Vesc from us to repair We have made a link to his site The news has been spread so quickly That all their vesc sent to him After he received a call from Trampa He has stopped the Vesc Repair

The Vesc-Project has reached a point where it needed to take the hurdle to get a bit more professional.

Lets compare such a OS-Project to a house. Its always wise to build upon strong foundations. Otherwise you put a lot of effort into building the house and finally you have to realize that anyone could crush your building, simply pulling out a brick in the cellar. So its inevitable to set up the foundations strong enough befor erecting a new building.

The amount of work Benjamin put in there is astronomic. He needs the TM, so that all the effort is protected against guys with bad intentions. Just google OS and Trademark.

Benjamin has a TM policy online and many things are explained there. Help him and stick to the TM policies. There is lots of thought in there! BTW, its pretty much like the Linux TM policy, so its probably quite a fair deal and not phony work of phony lawyers.

Benjamin has published a statement already but maybe it needs clarification.

Since Benjamin can’t do everything (a day has only 24 hours), the only way to put out an official quality checked Hardware release is teaming up with someone like us, who put tons of effort and cash in the VESC 6 environment. We can handle the manufacturing, customer support and shipping, Benjamin can’t do that, due to the lack of infrastructure and time. He also couldn’t be the quality control center for world wide Vesc production without hiring staff, no one would pay for. Since he can control the official release VESCs quality, has gains from it in future + its an official release, its called VESC. The official software release is called VESC-Tool.

I helped him to setup the project in a sustainable and professional way. A licensing model is due to be released. If you wish to show your support there will be a way to do it, no worries.

Software and reference Hardware will be OS, but the TM will be in Benjamins hands for given reasons. Benjamin doesn’t want anyone to be able to call the Hardware like the official project titel. He wants his own work, quality approved by himself to have the VESC-Label on.

Don’t you guys think its fair enough that he shares the code and hardware designs? Why should he also share the TM. No major OS-Project does that! Otherwise the TM would be useless and not serving its purpose (serving the customer to identify the original quality source).

Why is it so hard to accept that making hardware you should use your own Brand and stand in for the quality you make with your own Brand. Poorly made VESCs, using the VESC brand, would have a negative impact on the entire project. We have seen such things happening already.

Everyone wanting to contribute in a positive way is invited to do so and will be granted benefits under an official license model. That will help you to advertise your products and Benjamin to build up a future for the project. That is the most important I think. Without fundings no future. We thought a lot about the best way to assure a good future. Relax, everything will be fine in the end, no bad intentions.

Frank

2 Likes

Hmm… This is interesting. Anyway, just for a second I might as well registered VESK8, so no one can use the name VESK8 anymore :smiley:

Well that’s a bit extreme? I think anyone should be allowed to provide a repair service.

1 Like

Can you please just answer me this: Could I theoretically sell VESC 6 under my own name for it?

1 Like

Is there a reason why trampa and Benjamin don’t want to use vesc as Google does with the name Android? https://developer.android.com/distribute/marketing-tools/brand-guidelines.html Seems much better to have guidelines of branding rather then how it is being handled now.

@lox897 the VESC6 design that you can buy from trampa is not open source, so you cant produce it yourself. the only thing that gets open source is a referenc design!

1 Like

Trampa is forbidden forget it

1 Like

Android does. :slight_smile:

So only the 4.12 is open source? that’s BS

1 Like

Sure! 10 char

But the VESC 6 isn’t open source?

Nope thats wrong!

the VESC6 design that you can order right now from trampa is not open source. but Benjamin will release a “reference design” that is a bit different to the VESC 6 Hardware.

that is how I understod Trampa a view post earlier in the VESC6 Thread

1 Like

Makes sense! Would love to hear more about this ‘reference design’ from @trampa